How do I preserve geometry when using copy to points?

962   7   0
14 posts
Hi

I am trying to create a spikey ball. How would I preserve when doing this so I dont lose my sphere?
Edited by k99 - July 20, 2023 07:57:53

Attachments:
ball spike.PNG (363.0 KB)
ball spike nodes.PNG (17.2 KB)

14 posts
I believe I have a temp solution
I created a sphere and based the spikes based on its points. Currently exploring and playing around with density

Attachments:
ball spike 2.PNG (381.2 KB)

14 posts
Ok I think I fixed my own problem

Attachments:
ball spike 3.PNG (330.8 KB)

56 posts
Hi, that's nomal behaviour. If you want to have the sphere mesh and your spikes togehter use a merge SOP and bring your sphere and the spikes together in one geo stream.

However, be aware that this is not one closed mesh. If you want that, take your points, add a polybevel (on points) and peak the group of points.

14 posts
Would you be able to take a ss of your node network?
14 posts
This is what ive got
Edited by k99 - July 20, 2023 11:27:19

Attachments:
ball spike 4.PNG (604.8 KB)

56 posts
Oh no wait, that was very unclear and bad explained from me.

I just described two ways. In the first way, with the merge, the spikes are objects (polygon meshes) and a sphere. nothing is connected if you merge them.

By using the way with the polybevel on the points you modify one (closed) geo, and that way it stays one object. You'll get a direct extrusion on the sphere and there is no gap between spikes and the sphere. See attached hip.
Edited by Xue_Yue - July 20, 2023 16:05:33

Attachments:
spikey.hiplc (123.7 KB)

14 posts
Xue_Yue
Oh no wait, that was very unclear and bad explained from me.

I just described two ways. In the first way, with the merge, the spikes are objects (polygon meshes) and a sphere. nothing is connected if you merge them.

By using the way with the polybevel on the points you modify one (closed) geo, and that way it stays one object. You'll get a direct extrusion on the sphere and there is no gap between spikes and the sphere. See attached hip.

Thank you for this demonstration, it really helped me to review my setup and learn some new nodes as well as techniques I could use for other projects.
  • Quick Links