AMD CPU and opencl

1303   4   0
861 posts
I've recently had to reinstall my OS, ubuntu, courtesy of nvidia drivers. Now I'm finding that opencl doesn't work anymore on Houdini. It is shown in houdini->edit->preferences but inspecting from a shell the cpu doesn't seem to be listed it as an opencl device at all!

Some internet sleuthing reveals the shocking information that AMD has abandoned support for opencl on their cpu so people revert to pocl or other things, with mixed results.

How do folks handle this? Some sop nodes require opencl (attribute blur I think?) and it is common as an option in dop nodes. Opencl on gpu can be tricky because of limited gpu memory.
--
Jobless
7794 posts
I thought Intel provided the CPU driver for OpenCL, whether it was an Intel CPU or not
13 posts
jsmack
I thought Intel provided the CPU driver for OpenCL, whether it was an Intel CPU or not

I’ve tried to look into that and apparently not. It seems a lot more macgyvered. I’m no expert on this but I get the impression opencl is dying out and not a lot of people care about it to make it work. Almost makes me think sidefx is bundling some opencl with the houdini install and it broke. That’s pure speculation on my part though.
86 posts
Fx_enjoyer
jsmack

I’ve tried to look into that and apparently not. It seems a lot more macgyvered. I’m no expert on this but I get the impression opencl is dying out and not a lot of people care about it to make it work. Almost makes me think sidefx is bundling some opencl with the houdini install and it broke. That’s pure speculation on my part though.

opencl not dying.
and Soothsayer if you have amd cpu than opencl cpu should work out of the box in houdini.
i think the problem its not in houdini , so maybe the libraries are not installed in ubuntu and you need to install it
Edited by habernir - July 23, 2023 05:02:27
861 posts
habernir
Soothsayer if you have amd cpu than opencl cpu should work out of the box in houdini.
i think the problem its not in houdini , so maybe the libraries are not installed in ubuntu and you need to install it

Any idea of what might be missing? I ran clinfo in a terminal and the cpu is not listed as an opencl device, only the gpu is. I have a ryzen 3950x, so that should work ok normally.
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links