Procedural Containers.

5442   5   1
107 posts
Hi,
Here are the results of my project that I have been working on for a while at NCCA. The goal was creating a procedural container shader that will generate containers automatically and will guarantee color, brand and age (rust, dust, weathering) variations.

Stills:

The Shader Interface:

The Final Sequence:

http://www.eriklouistvedt.com/drift_v2.mov [eriklouistvedt.com]

Any feedbacks?
Thanks.
Live life in chunks.
537 posts
cool .. that's nice

I really think Houdini should also try and market as a procedural industrial / architectural previs application (like max). Also game enviornment and character generation.
107 posts
Houdini is a full scale 3D/2D package… Everything done with Maya, Max, Cinema 4D etc. can be done with Houdini…

…However sentences like that tend to overestimate the capabilities of Houdini… In addition to what Maya and Max have… Houdini also has a very powerfull non-linear workflow and a very clever interface…

I think that it is a technology that is still way too advanced when compared to the other packages…

As the user number increases… people will start to explore the different aspects… this will show that Houdini is not just for smoke and fire… as many people think…
Live life in chunks.
519 posts
? been trying to model some building(s) in houdini, it's a pain compared to most cad packages…then again, it's a pain in most cad packages to get some decent lighting and shaders roll so am stuck in the middle ? Guess need to train, sweat, train, ask a lot of questions, sweat and train more with houdini to work as quickly as in a cad package. Not withstanding my lack of knowledge about houdini, Sidefx could (i bet they could) make modelling even simpler for noobs like me wink Okay, that's enough emoticons for now.

Containers look very nice. Got a lot of these in the harbors here and they look just the same as on your pictures. Good job!
537 posts
well, maybe for a simple arch rendering without too many lighting tricks then yeah Houdini would be overkill …

using custom asset liberaries for various nuts / bolts / beams / structures / car parts / character mesh generation seems to me like it would save a lot of repetitive labor and setup. I would think a lot of what's being done with other apps in the game/arch/industry areas would be highly repetitive and could benefit from procedural approaches
519 posts
it's exactly for the semi-repititous tasks that houdini is excellent for architecture imho. Indeed the idea is to make hda of common building objects etc. And I am not sure if houdini is overkill for architectural renderings (if you stick with escape). Lot of, if not all architectural firms, use 3dmax or maya anyway for presentation work so why not houdini?

Apart from that, you can use it in the design process as geometry generator for Hadid like structures. Houdini's scripting is excellent for “rule based”, “stratagey” or “fractal”-based architecture (just using some semi-fashionable terms). Symbolic showed a nice example of that.
  • Quick Links