Threadripper vs AMD Epyk

812   3   0
2 posts
Hello everyone,

We recently purchased a dual AMD Epyk 7742 workstation to replace the old Threadripper 3970x one.

In Cinebench r20 the scores for the 2 machines are as follow:
1. Dual AMD EPYK machine - 32000
2. AMD Threadripper 3970x - 16000

Both systems are using Windows 11

However after initial testing with FLIP simulations the dual Epyk machine runs almost 2 times slower than the old Threadripper 3970x. We were expecting it to be 2 times faster, certainly NOT slower.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
133 posts
Not 100% but my understanding is that the threadrippers had a higher clock speed, so whilst over multicore the Epyc would be faster, only if the task was 100% optimised for multithreading, and im not sure FLIP is?? I mean i know it is multithreaded but are there diminishing returns over a certain number of threads?
Edited by Hatchery - Sept. 28, 2023 09:26:23
Love Houdini
1621 posts
Another thing to consider: The Windows scheduler has been notoriously bad with Epycs. It's gotten better, but it's still a problem.

If you get the chance to do this non-invasively, I would suggest trying out a linux distro, just to see if it improves. It's not a silver bullet, but some configurations easily double their speed for certain tasks.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
311 posts
Hi,

I’d recommend you to do a much broader test.

Maybe you will then be able to identify when and why each setup excels.

As implied in the above posts these things are not so simple.

Cheers!
Edited by SWest - Sept. 29, 2023 02:15:42
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
  • Quick Links