orient joints strange behavior

796   2   1
225 posts
Hello,

could someone help me understand what is going on here? I have the orient joints sop with up vector enabled. when I use a rig pose node and select some of the joints, the handle doesn't even match the position of the joint (sometimes) and it randomly rotates. Seems to be fine without up vector enabled. I suspect it has something to do with this? Docs say: Cases where the joint and its child are parallel to the world Y axis are not supported by the lookat (when Use Up Vector is enabled). In order to get a correct result in these cases, please use the Reference Point Attribute for Lookat option.
Thanks

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (308.2 KB)
Animation.gif (5.9 MB)
rig_test.hip (141.7 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
63 posts
I'm not getting the weird offsets of the handles and joints when I open your file. Might be a bug on your system?

As for the orient joints SOP. One thing I noticed is that you are trying to use a single node for the whole skeleton, which doesn't work well on joints with multiple children. When left to consider multiple children, the node will take the average of all children to orient the parent, which is generally not what you want.

Generally you want to use one node per chain and use the "orient group" and "target group" to limit the joints that are being orients. So generally I'll set the root/COG/hip manually. Then use one node to orient the spine/torso, one for the legs, and one for the arms.

Lastly, I've said it before, but I only use procedural set up for joint orientation (and joint weighting) for BG characters and crowds. Hero characters really are better done manually. There's just too much that can go wrong down the line. Just my 2 cents.
madebygeoff.com
225 posts
made-by-geoff
I'm not getting the weird offsets of the handles and joints when I open your file. Might be a bug on your system?

As for the orient joints SOP. One thing I noticed is that you are trying to use a single node for the whole skeleton, which doesn't work well on joints with multiple children. When left to consider multiple children, the node will take the average of all children to orient the parent, which is generally not what you want.

Generally you want to use one node per chain and use the "orient group" and "target group" to limit the joints that are being orients. So generally I'll set the root/COG/hip manually. Then use one node to orient the spine/torso, one for the legs, and one for the arms.

Lastly, I've said it before, but I only use procedural set up for joint orientation (and joint weighting) for BG characters and crowds. Hero characters really are better done manually. There's just too much that can go wrong down the line. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks.

This was a procedurally generated background character (as part of a crowd). the orientation didn't really matter that much because it was going to have re-targeted motion on it. That bug happened on my work computer and my personal computer, so I am not sure. Just seems like odd behavior that the joint would move when I select it.
Edited by evanrudefx - Oct. 22, 2023 12:42:42
Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links