Right way to convert simulation outputs to static geometry? [[SOLVED]]

620   3   1
62 posts
I'm experimenting with DOPs as a tool for generating static (not changing over time) geometry ... for example, the attached converts the outputs from a POP simulation into a static mesh using Trail, Add, and Timeshift (see attached), which works fine. The problem is that changes to the geometry feeding the DOP Network don't cause the Timeshift to recook, which I end-up doing manually by turning Bypass on-and-off. I'm betting there's a right way to do this, and this ain't it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Edited by tshead - Nov. 24, 2023 18:10:38

Attachments:
timeshift-recook.hip (293.2 KB)
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 21.03.12.png (1.3 MB)

238 posts
deactivate the cache in the popnet.
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
62 posts
sekow

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, this breaks the Trail SOP, which in hindsight makes sense, as it needs to get the DOP network output at different times.

Cheers,
Tim
62 posts
tshead
sekow
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, this breaks the Trail SOP, which in hindsight makes sense, as it needs to get the DOP network output at different times.

However, this did get me thinking about alternatives to the Trail SOP, and it turns-out that a For-Each Number loop does the trick. In the attached version, changes to the source geometry immediately update the results, and the block_end provides a convenient location to specify how many times to iterate on the simulation, separately from the timeline.

Cheers,
Tim

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 1.18.06 PM.png (3.2 MB)
timeshift-recook.hiplc (296.4 KB)

• Quick Links