Capture Painting broken ?

741   3   1
413 posts
Since the "capture override" and "capture weights" seem to be broken I tried going the other route editing the captured weights of this animated FBX character and use the "fbx character import" and "joint capture paint" to edit the weights.

But this route ends up in another bug fest, "jointcapturepaint" seems completely broken. All kinds or errors and stuff not working at all...

I start wondering if this stuff is there just for show in Houdini and isn't supposed to actually work.

Has anyone else tried using this, or is it me ?
447 posts
I start wondering if this stuff is there just for show in Houdini and isn't supposed to actually work.

You can say this to the whole "character animation in Houdini" scenario.

I've stopped reporting bugs since 19.5. There are just way too many of them, and most of them are UI-related and need some screen recordings to clarify. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort at this point unless you're doing some purely procedural animation.
Edited by raincole - Dec. 7, 2023 13:24:46
413 posts
Hey, thanks.

Sad but true it seems, but glad to know it's not just me.

Every now and then I get overconfident and try to move my character work over to Houdini.

But that seems like a bad idea, every time that ends up in a lot of frustration, cursing at the monitor and considering starting to look for another occupation.

I've been submitting a few bugs every week lately, amazing that's nothing special in this business
447 posts
toonafish
Every now and then I get overconfident and try to move my character work over to Houdini.

But that seems like a bad idea, every time that ends up in a lot of frustration, cursing at the monitor and considering starting to look for another occupation.

Yeah, pretty much so. Don't let the Keynote fool you. APEX animation is not ready yet. They showed a fancy "physics-based dynamic motion" tool, but the reality is that there isn't even a normal motion path tool (all the other DCCs, including Houdinit itself at obj level, have had this since forever).

At its current state, animate state is a step back from KineFX's Rig Pose. And Rig Pose was a step back from other animation suites itself.
Edited by raincole - Dec. 8, 2023 14:59:30
  • Quick Links