Edit Lop does not smooth as OBJ context

701   4   1
620 posts
Hi,

I use Edit lop layout several boxes. I found that dragging object in Edit lop is not smooth as object context.
There are 0.x seconds freeze when I click mouse for selecting and draging.
If Houdini could improve the interactive performance of edit lop it will give a better layout experience.

Thanks.
Staff
4438 posts
This usually happens because the edit LOP is higher up the LOP node chain, and when you change something in the Edit LOP, all the downstream LOP nodes also have to recook, resulting in slower interactivity. Do you still see this issue when the Edit LOP is the node with the display flag? A video (or better yet a hip file) could really help clarify the issue, since I have often used the Edit LOP and the performance is generally pretty good...
620 posts
mtucker
This usually happens because the edit LOP is higher up the LOP node chain, and when you change something in the Edit LOP, all the downstream LOP nodes also have to recook, resulting in slower interactivity. Do you still see this issue when the Edit LOP is the node with the display flag? A video (or better yet a hip file) could really help clarify the issue, since I have often used the Edit LOP and the performance is generally pretty good...

I uploaded the video and hip. The mouse click lost in lop viewer randomly.
Edited by jerry7 - Dec. 10, 2023 23:54:27

Attachments:
lopview_lag.mp4 (2.3 MB)
lopviewer.hipnc (169.7 KB)

273 posts
I'm able to repro this. The edit tool seems to be super picky about i) the duration of the left button mouse press/release - anything longer than around 1/4 of a second and the selection doesn't happen and ii) the distance the cursor travels between mouse press/release - anything more than about 50 pixels-ish and the selection doesn't happen either.
Staff
4438 posts
Oh, sorry, I totally misunderstood this. I thought you were saying that transforming the prims was slow (i.e. dragging the transform handle around). The video makes this much clearer, thanks!
  • Quick Links