OSL Shader

656   3   0
11 posts
Hi, is there any possibility to build an OSL shader for karma? If there is, how to do it?
8555 posts
So far there is no support for OSL in Karma and latest I heard was that there is no short term plan to support it, but that can potentially change in the future
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2 posts
MaterialX shader graphs already generate OSL code which is then sent to render engines. As far as I understand it the MaterialX standard is basically just a node based way of writing OSL and GLSL shader code. So it's weird OSL support isn't on the SideFX roadmap since Karma is entirely built around MaterialX. You can read about the MaterialX OSL shader framework here:
[github.com]
8555 posts
gabriel101x
MaterialX shader graphs already generate OSL code which is then sent to render engines. As far as I understand it the MaterialX standard is basically just a node based way of writing OSL and GLSL shader code. So it's weird OSL support isn't on the SideFX roadmap since Karma is entirely built around MaterialX. You can read about the MaterialX OSL shader framework here:
[github.com]
MaterialX is just a material definition that has their library definitions implemented in OSL, MDL and GLSL

That however doesn't mean that a compatible renderer can or has to use any of those implementations

To make compatible renderer it simply means you have to implement every single node from definition in the "shading language" your renderer uses which in terms of Karma is neither of the mentioned ones, so the work is 100% on SideFX to make sure they stay up to date with the definition and have implementations for Karma or at least until they decide to support MDL or OSL
Edited by tamte - Jan. 2, 2024 10:00:45
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links