Build Houdini Engine from source for UE4.26 and UE5.3.2

449   1   0
2 posts
Hello @all.

TLR
Can I build Houdini Engine from source that supports both Unreal Engine Versions or do I have to maintain 2 versions of my project in different Houdini-Versions to be able to use both Unreal Engine Releases with Houdini Engine?
---------------------------------------

I am currently using H19.5.435, because it is the last version that supports HE4UnrealEngine 4.26, which is important for me because CarlaSim [github.com]is built on a fork of 4.26.

I would like to explore the possibilities of Unreal Engine 5.3.2 for visualization purposes, but then I would need to upgrade my Houdini version to at least H19.5.752 if I am correct. Unfortunately, the minimum supported version of Unreal Engine for this version of Houdini is 4.27.

I am not particularly keen to maintain 2 versions of my project due to the size and complexity.

Is there a way for me to build a Houdini Engine version from source either for H19.435 or for H19.5.752 that supports UE4.26 AND UE5.3.2?

I would be glad if someone could point me in the right direction or tell me this isn't possible.
I found this post on how to build HEngine for any version [www.sidefx.com], but as far as I understand it this is still depending on the correct release...

Thanks in advance and have a blessed 2024
2 posts
Hi @all,

i guess I got it to work. I followed the post mentioned above and adjusted just two things.

I downloaded the latest release of Houdini Engine and edited the HoudiniEngineBuild.cs file to recognize my 19.5.435 version of Houdini. I changed the "string Houdini Version" to my current version and gave the correct HFSPath before building. So far I didn't encounter any issues while using my HDAs in Unreal Engine 5.3.2.
  • Quick Links