where is the Houdini.env file located in 19.5?

3062   11   1
320 posts
I was looking for houdini.env file in H19.5 but cannot find it even with a folder search in windows. I know it was there in previous versions. did it get a name change?
what I am after is to edit it so I can reduce number of "recent" files and editing the env file to HOUDINI_MAX_FILE_HISTORY = X (X is how many you want)
7770 posts
it would be in your houdini19.5 folder with the other user settings.
320 posts
thats what I thought in Houdini 19.5 base folder, but all that is there are three files:
houdini_setup.
houdini_setup_bash
houdini_setup_csh
the _csh kinda looks like the correct one.

as I said I did a search in folder Houdini19.5 for:
houdini.env
*.env
and it came up with no file found.
320 posts
never mind. Side Effects support had me send the Houdini info. somehow when I installed it, it ended up on my one drive. now to see if I can move it without having to reinstall Houdini.
I had to go into Microsoft environment variables and add a link pointing Houdini to my C drive/user/documents
Edited by bobc4d - Feb. 26, 2023 10:13:08
7770 posts
forum needs a scream react
28 posts
This is kind of non-obvious. It appears that Windows 11 puts folders created in "\Users\<User Name>\Documents" instead into a folder called "\Users\<User Name>\OneDrive\Documents". Presumably this is so they get backed up by Windows to your OneDrive. The Houdini Environment Variables are updated to the new location, so everything works. The problem is when you go to look for "houdini.env", it's not in its old reliable location.
Edited by Reynold Dodson - March 1, 2023 20:12:34
7770 posts
Reynold Dodson
This is kind of non-obvious. It appears that Windows 11 puts folders created in "\Users\<User Name>\Documents" instead into a folder called "\Users\<User Name>\OneDrive\Documents". Presumably this is so they get backed up by Windows to your OneDrive. The Houdini Environment Variables are updated to the new location, so everything works. The problem is when you go to look for "houdini.env", it's not in its old reliable location.

ah, yeah indeed. if you have onedrive enabled for my documents that is true for windows 10 as well.
28 posts
I guess the difference here is that on Windows 11, OneDrive is enable by default, whether you want it or not.
320 posts
Side Effects support added this for not keeping the env file in one drive.

** Please note that we do not recommend placing your user preferences under OneDrive, as the location usually has restrictive permissions. **
28 posts
The problem is that if you install Houdini on Windows 11, the user preference file will automatically end up on OneDrive. It's not something that an average user has control over or will even know it's happening.
7770 posts
bobc4d
Side Effects support added this for not keeping the env file in one drive.

** Please note that we do not recommend placing your user preferences under OneDrive, as the location usually has restrictive permissions. **

yeah, you dont really have a choice on Windows 10 either if you choose to use OneDrive as intended. I've had zero problems with it functionally.
I've submitted bugs to the effect that the user prefs folder is being used incorrectly and that 1000s of files which amount to cache for icons and help pages are stored there. This can cause performance issues since many users want their prefs backed up or in corp environs to have their home directory on network storage. There's zero reason other than legacy for why these cache files are stored in a user HFS location.
9 posts
bobc4d
I had to go into Microsoft environment variables and add a link pointing Houdini to my C drive/user/documents

Can anyone please expound on changing environment variables. I'm experiencing the same onedrive bs and I am way out my depth when it comes to arcane windows nonsense.
  • Quick Links