Animation best practices?

627   3   3
253 posts
I'm sure this has come up before but I'm a bit late to the USD party here

So what's the concences on doing animations that would normally be done in /obj level?

Think assembly type animations with a lot of moving parts, tweaking animation curves and keyfranes to get a nice flow.

Workflows so far:

A) Simpy using a scene import node. Works but this quickly bogs down since it will re-import everything each frame and triggering recooks downstream. Scrubbing the time line feels like it's 1999 again.

B) Importing a static scene and using transform nodes after that, preferably somewhere near the end of the USD network to minimize downstream updates. It's faster but a bit cumbersome and not all the animation features work (pressing 'K' does not set keys for example) It's also not as performant as the /obj context so it can be hard to judge animation flow properly.

C) Import static scene, do the animation in /obj and use a bit of python to reference those transform values into USD transform nodes that are automatically added into the stage for all /obj level nodes that have a keyframed transform. This allows for animating in the fast and comfortable /obj context yet having a relatively fast USD stage. Downside is that it requires some automated housekeeping and gets messy with complex hierarchies and such.

D) Caching things out. Fast playback but it quickly becomes a drag when doing lots of iterations etc.

E) Don't go into USD until all animation is completed. Sound like a plan but also when doing lookdev/lighting it's annoying when scrubbing is a bit slow.

Are there any other/better ways of getting max performance from USD in relatively simple scenes?
Edited by Jonathan de Blok - Feb. 2, 2024 03:39:20
More code, less clicks.
333 posts
Option C) should not require any Python. It's what USD was built to do out-of-the-box. You can bring your static model into Solaris for lookdev, and then bring the animation in as a separate layer that you can just overlay on the static model.

Something like this (you'll see the animation layer comes in with no geometry - just transform info):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFqUBPFU07E [www.youtube.com]
Edited by eikonoklastes - Feb. 2, 2024 05:04:14
253 posts
eikonoklastes
Option C) should not require any Python. It's what USD was built to do out-of-the-box. You can bring your static model into Solaris for lookdev, and then bring the animation in as a separate layer that you can just overlay on the static model.

Something like this (you'll see the animation layer comes in with no geometry - just transform info):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFqUBPFU07E [www.youtube.com]

Ok, good to know and it helps a bit, If I import the transforms only using the "sceneimport1" set to not import geo/materials and sublayer that onto a frozen, "timeshift1" set to frame 0, stage it goes from around 3 to 15fps. (Houdini GL/flat shaded viewport)

Just the frozen layer plays back at +120 fps, so that's not causing any performance drops, the xform-only "sceneimport1" does 19fps and when combining those using the "sublayer1" I see the animation working fine but at a measly 15fps. Even when I just inport the xform of a single object.

We're talking less to 100 lowres objects here, not even 20 are animated. And when I simply use a USD transform node after the timeshift I can animate a few prims and get +-35..30 fps, not great either.

For reference, the /obj context does everything at +100 easily.
Edited by Jonathan de Blok - Feb. 2, 2024 06:14:12

Attachments:
houdini_V7B4NGm9hQ.png (134.6 KB)

More code, less clicks.
333 posts
Jonathan de Blok
We're talking less to 100 lowres objects here, not even 20 are animated. And when I simply use a USD transform node after the timeshift I can animate a few prims and get +-35..30 fps, not great either.

For reference, the /obj context does everything at +100 easily.
What FPS do you get if you export a USD, rather than using Scene Import?
  • Quick Links