macOS and Packed Geo

877   11   1
105 posts
I work with Houdini 20 on a Mac Studio Ultra M2 with 64Gb of RAM, when I use packed geo with Crowds or RBD sim my viewport is slow and sluggish, even with the new MacBook Pro M3.
Anyone else have these issues ?
thanks
Edited by dyts - Feb. 3, 2024 04:05:39
- David
Staff
467 posts
Can you provide a file that reproduces the issue?
105 posts
johnmather
Can you provide a file that reproduces the issue?

Sure here is an example, when texture is enabled in solaris the viewport is sluggish and slow

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19FNKssuvg5cPcxF-1PMzvSX2col-cXtU/view?usp=share_link [drive.google.com]
- David
Staff
467 posts
It looks like that file requires permissions to access?
105 posts
johnmather
It looks like that file requires permissions to access?
I don't think so it has all access, the textures are loaded and displayed, but as soon as the textures are visibles the solaris viewport is sluggish
- David
Staff
467 posts
I mean the Google drive link. It asks me to log in.
105 posts
johnmather
I mean the Google drive link. It asks me to log in.
oups sorry https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/25nnwl02rf0b5phnd0dmp/crowd_intro.zip?rlkey=usax32trzs5xheew5cicsrrjb&dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]
- David
105 posts
johnmather
I'm a little confused. You say that it's slow when you enable textures in the Solaris viewport, however this file doesn't have anything set up in the stage context? How are you bringing in your geometry?
I've put a lopnet SOP in the obj

Attachments:
Capture d’écran 2024-02-05 à 20.52.34.png (151.0 KB)

- David
Staff
467 posts
Gotcha!

At first glance, the slowdown seems to be inside the GL drivers. I'll discuss with my colleagues internally and see what we can do about it.
105 posts
johnmather
Gotcha!

At first glance, the slowdown seems to be inside the GL drivers. I'll discuss with my colleagues internally and see what we can do about it.
Super, thanks you so much it's so frustrating, I work a lot with crowds and RBD sim and Packed Geo and Packed agent are terrible
- David
Staff
467 posts
It seems to be related to your MaterialX shaders. If I disable the material nodes, I get a lot more performance.
105 posts
johnmather
It seems to be related to your MaterialX shaders. If I disable the material nodes, I get a lot more performance.
I know if I disable the shaders it's faster but how can I shade my agents
And with packed geo in RBD sims, with Principal shaders, my viewport is sluggish and it's the open gl viewport here is my RBD project so slow

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ad5nbxsajiw592tqhqoiu/Multi_Layered_Destruction.zip?rlkey=cxtbmlux1kh9iibv94t8grpi1&dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]
- David
  • Quick Links