Removing intersections between geometries

364   1   1
1 posts
Hi! I can't solve one problem, I hope for your help. When modeling a spacecraft, he resorted to the method of creating individual elements and then assembling them into a single mesh. Intersections between individual geometry elements appear during assembly. Photo below. In theory, I understand that I probably need to make a boolean for each intersecting geometry in order to remove this intersection later, but in practice I can't figure out how to do this. I want to ensure that the ship is as a whole, without the maximum number of intersections, in the future I want to destroy certain parts of the ship with RBD, but I'm afraid that if there are intersections, some parts will fly into space. Tell me how to solve this problem in order to get rid of the intersections of the elements, well, and make them one.

Attachments:
Скриншот 20-02-2024 11.49.14.png (3.2 MB)
Скриншот 20-02-2024 11.50.21.png (2.2 MB)
Скриншот 20-02-2024 11.51.44.png (2.2 MB)

8555 posts
getting rid of intersection is a very ambiguous task as it can bean a lot of things
if all the pieces are watertight you can possibly just append Boolean SOP and it will combine all
you may want to be more selective about whats combined and whats subtracted from what and that's the ambiguous part

however for the destruction intersections shouldn't matter as much if anything I'd say that combined mesh can make things much more difficult as then you'd still need to decompose your shapes into convex hulls which is much easier if you start with a lot of separate pieces even if intersecting, rather than a single monolithic mesh

Bullet should handle initial overlaps gracefully so things should not just explode when activated or released from constraints
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links