is there a way for blending materials instead of vertx

537   6   2
34 posts
Hi guys
just making some ground for a tunnel entrance to blend into the landscape.
I am trying to use tiled textures to keep my texture count down so I don't really want to paint the material to a UV.
I would like to blend the materials without the sharp edges like a landscape would.

at the moment they are set to primitive groups making ugly sharp contrasting edges would prefer to blend them like when setting a point color.
Edited by Getyamamout - Feb. 27, 2024 08:01:33

Attachments:
help1.png (4.2 MB)
help.png (6.1 MB)

1007 posts
To blend ground textures, you should make one shader that contains all your textures (grass, sand, gravel, etc). To blend them, you should make yourself a vertex painted mask. It can be on point or vertex. Then, you use a node that can get that mask attribute in the shader and use it to blend each texture together.
Edited by olivierth - Feb. 27, 2024 09:38:45
34 posts
is it using the mask from geometry node?
Edited by Getyamamout - Feb. 27, 2024 09:47:07

Attachments:
help.png (3.4 MB)

1007 posts
I've never used that MaskFromGeometry node before but it seams to work. I can see the float "grass" in the geometry spreadsheet. That's good.

Now, on the shader side, there should be a node that allows you to get that "grass" mask. If you use Arnold so it would be a "user_data_float" node. But in Karma, I have no clue. What renderer are you using?
34 posts
just starting to use just a material attached to a material network with a principle shader inside... I am not very clued up on Houdini's renderers as normally do all my materials in Unreal. Just wanted to have some meshes setup with materials ready to go all blended in the right places. not real bothering to make it look nice in Houdini. (I wasted yesterday dicking about with the walls shaders and lighting going oooh aahhh lol.) I take it that I just add extra principle shaders for each material wanted referenced to there mask and merge them using the merge or what ever its called in the shader as the reference for the material?
1007 posts
I don't know anything about viewport shaders, sorry! You'd need a node with the word "Blend" or "Mix" or "lerp" or "composite"... I tied a few but none of them are compatible with the principled shaders...

...and then, there's the node that will get your "grass" mask.
Edited by olivierth - Feb. 28, 2024 15:00:23
34 posts
thanks anyway I'm sure you pointed me in the right direction
  • Quick Links