Karma transfer attributes

333   1   0
3 posts
Hi everybody !

I have a low poly mesh on which I want to use some high res noise on his shader at rendering (I can only create this noise in geometry context because it's a bit special).

I duplicated my lowres mesh, scattered lots of points on it and created my noise with a color attribute. Now how can I use it as a mask/attribute in shader context to shade my low res mesh ? It's the same technique for wetmaps so usually I transfered this attribute from the points to the lowpoly mesh in material context but the transfer node doesn't exist in Karma for Houdini 19.5 (the version I'm working on, it only appears from v20)... any idea how I can do ? Uv, comp, shader..?

Thank you for your help,
Vincent
7801 posts
If you don't have access to houdini 20, then you'll have to bake the pointcloud color to a texture map first. Houdini 20 added the karma pointcloud read node which would make this simple.

For baking, use your preferred method, mantra or COPs, or even a 2D volume (heightmap) and save it as an image. All of these would allow you to use pcfilter in a VOP network to filter the pointcloud attribute in texture space.
  • Quick Links