Click Drag Select

683   4   1
49 posts
Working with APEX rigs, I'm constantly moving joints when I select them. Then cycling through undo's to try to return the joint to where it was. This is undesirable. If I remember correctly, in Maya there was a thing called click drag select (I think) but the basic idea was, you couldn't move anything simply by selecting it. You had to first select, and then as a second action you could make your change. For me, it was a far superior way of working because it cuts down on unintended moves.
Staff
20 posts
To turn this off for animation, hit P when in the animate state viewport, it will come up with options. There is a checkbox called Use Click and Drag. Uncheck this and it should now be that you select the control first and then you move it after
Edited by warrenl - March 5, 2024 14:00:15
49 posts
Perfect, thank you!
239 posts
warrenl
To turn this off for animation, hit P when in the animate state viewport, it will come up with options. There is a checkbox called Use Click and Drag. Uncheck this and it should now be that you select the control first and then you move it after

Coming from Maya I also think this setting should be off by default. It's so frustrating the fact that you can move and select at the same time, good to know it can be turned off Though I think 90% of animators trying out the new houdini apex animate are used to maya/blender and would also get quite frustrated and not knowing that you can turn it off
Magnus Møller
Creative Director / Rigger @ Tumblehead
Staff
20 posts
Agree. It's on the list. First thing I do is turn it off (I also don't like moving my controls by mistake when selecting) as right now that setting isn't saving with the file either.
  • Quick Links