Resample problem along surface periphery

375   6   1
73 posts
Hello Experts,

This is a problem I've encountered several times, and I suspect it's because I'm misunderstanding something basic. I often have to take the periphery of a surface and remove portions of that periphery curve that are too close to some previous curves/peripheries.

I seem to end up with the curve segments I want, but when I try to do a resample on them, it doesn't work as I'd expect. I can't get the spacing between the resampled points to be even, and I can't enlarge that spacing to what I'd like, and the points aren't in an order I'd expect, and I suspect I'm seeing duplicated points/primitives.

I attach a zip file that contains a .hip as well as files for the surface and previous peripheries. The resample in the workflow wants to end up with a point spacing of 6 units, and it doesn't budge above a certain amount.

Is anyone able to explain for me what I'm doing wrong or how instead I should try to achieve this?

With gratitude,
Mary

Attachments:
test.zip (5.9 MB)

8555 posts
it's because convertline2 converted your single curve primitive into curve primiteive per segment
fuse1 just fuses points but doesn't make them a single curve primitive again (and resample resamples per curve)

- replace fuse1 with Polypath SOP which will create a single polygonal curve out of all connected segmented curves and then resample would work
You can also experiment with Connect End points in case your points are not already fused
Edited by tamte - March 31, 2024 17:23:57
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
73 posts
Thanks so much, Tomas. That works beautifully and makes a lot of sense. And now I understand also why I was having problems in the corners of some other curves -- the connect end points takes care of that problem as well.

Thank you and best wishes,
Mary
8555 posts
mgbaker
And now I understand also why I was having problems in the corners of some other curves -- the connect end points takes care of that problem as well.
if by problems you mean not keeping the corners sharp you may always have that issue if the corner is within a single curve primitive as resampled point may not land exactly on the corner

to mitigate that you can for example split the primitives at the corners into multiple prims using Poly Cut SOP, the fact it seemingly works in your case just by by checking that Connect End Points is just a coincidence of divisions aligning with corners
Edited by tamte - March 31, 2024 22:15:26
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
73 posts
Ah, yes, I actually realized that not long after posting, but the poly split sop looks like exactly what I needed.

Thanks again!
Mary
8555 posts
mgbaker
but the poly split sop looks like exactly what I needed.
sorry, I meant Poly Cut SOP, where you can specify points at which to cut the curve (corrected the previous post)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
73 posts
Oh! I just assumed that poly split does what it appears poly cut does -- that would have been quite disappointing when I tried it :-) Thanks for the correction!

Best wishes,
Mary
  • Quick Links