Ray Sop doesn't recognize Cache Data from DOP Import ?

412   6   2
766 posts
How can I used cached data from dop import in a ray sop, I'm hoping there is a way ?
【T】【C】【S】
8555 posts
what is your cached data? Depending on what it is maybe try unpacking it to polygons?

Ray SOP projects points to a surface, there is no reason why it wouldn't work as long as you are feeding it data it expects no matter where that geo came from
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
766 posts
tamte
what is your cached data? Depending on what it is maybe try unpacking it to polygons?

Ray SOP projects points to a surface, there is no reason why it wouldn't work as long as you are feeding it data it expects no matter where that geo came from
I'm not getting any hit attribute from the ray sop; my data is coming from a dopnet and read into a dopimport.
【T】【C】【S】
394 posts
As tamte said, it's probably packed, middle click on your dop import to verify. If it is, use an Unpack sop before connecting to your Ray sop.
766 posts
Neither the DOPNet or the DOPImport are packed goemetry; even if I show a screen capture of the node showing all the attributes etc; you'd see it's the full geometry with nothing packed.

The dist attribute as outputted by the raysop when move the timeline this attribute returns nothing. I've adjusted settings in the raysop with no value for the dist output.
【T】【C】【S】
8555 posts
easiest is to post a file, so that you can get exact answer rather than leave us guessing

but here are other possibilities of getting 0 hits or 0 distance, most likely nothing was hit which
- in Project Rays mode can happen if all rays miss, or if the vector is {0,0,0} (so for example if based on Normals, you may have v@N attribute {0,0,0} etc)
- in either mode if you are using Max Distance and all collision geo is further than that
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
766 posts
Thanks tamte I sorted out the issue I had to use minimum distance which gave me values to work with instead of the default vector.
【T】【C】【S】
  • Quick Links