Help with approach to RBD + Vellum interaction

675   2   1
1 posts
Hi, so Im working on this project where I am shattering a beer bottle but I also wanted to have the label of the beer bottle holding some parts of the shattered glass together. I was wondering how to approach this so that the label would interact with the RBD sim? I did some research online but Im having issues determining the best approach as I know I cannot have RBD and Vellum interact directly.

My initial approach is doing it all in Vellum using Shape match for the bottle and then a cloth slapped on as the label but the actual shatter looks weird. I also could do it all in RBD using soft constraints for the label, or even trying to make the label out of a deforming/bendable RBD sim, like an extremely soft metal.

If anyone has any input on what would be the best approach to this it would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Some reference for what I mean about the label holding pieces together : https://youtu.be/YTUbHCECnms [youtu.be]
8607 posts
definitely use RBD Soft constraints
just constrain pieces that are under the label together (dont bother about recreating the label itself out of constrained rbds)
make sure the constraints are only on the outer surface edges of the bottle, between pieces
you can have them also breakable

once satisfied with the sim, you can sim vellum label as a secondary pass, or can also be just deformed if it never needs to peel off somewhere or tear
Edited by tamte - March 2, 2023 22:18:11
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
5 posts
I am trying to do a similar effect. How did you end up doing it? ... if you read this by any chance a reply would be amazing.
  • Quick Links