Align Points

8699   5   2
2624 posts
Hi all
Is there a way to align a selection of points. I want to mirror some geometry and would like a group of points to be aligned along the x axis

Also is there a way to select a bunch of edges and create an edge loop ? cutting edges with polysplit is a bit tiresome.
Gone fishing
56 posts
circusmonkey
Hi all
Is there a way to align a selection of points. I want to mirror some geometry and would like a group of points to be aligned along the x axis.
Also is there a way to select a bunch of edges and create an edge loop ? cutting edges with polysplit is a bit tiresome.

Can't answer the second question. By align along the x-axis, do you mean set their y and z values to 0? If so, use a group sop to choose the points, followed by a point sop (acting on the above group) with the $TY and $TZ fields set to 0. This is a procedural approach, you could instead use an edit SOP and manually move the points to the zero line (use construction grid and snap).
2624 posts
In the end I took the snap to grid approach ! thanks for the advice !

R
Gone fishing
344 posts
You can cut a loop with polysplit.

Start a polysplit operation.
Ctrl+RightClick and select “Snap to Edge Midpoint” if you want to split edges on the middle (which is usually the case)
In the option bar above the viewport click close path, and change from shortest distance to quadstrip if desired (you can make these default by right clicking on the option so you don't have to change them everytime you use them).
Click on an edge and right click to complete. It will split around your model.

You can split a path across many edges, but not completely around the model by clicking a first edge and last edge then right click to complete. It will split all the edges in between. If you are splitting edges on opposite sides of the model, you should click an edge between the first and last to make certain it splits in the desired direction.
129 posts
Another way to align points is to select the components then right-click the current node in the network editor and choose Spreadsheet and manually assign the values.
2624 posts
great tips gents ! I am making some notes on all of them !

R
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links