New training videos

6329   11   3
1145 posts
There are two new sets of training videos on the Sidefx website.
There are two videos covering some very basic lighting and rendering tasks, then 5 videos
that spend a good deal of time showing how to create and manage uv texture coordinates using
the uvpelt tool. Along the way we use it as an excuse to show how to generate a new material.

Look in the Learning/Tutorials section of the main website.

Thanks to Keith for getting them ready.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
1 posts
Thanks guys, as a new Houdini user, I need all the help I can get!
537 posts
awesome I've been waiting for something on lighting!
53 posts
I'm having a problem opening seashadow.rat. I'm getting an error message about missing .dlls and an inability to find the file, although the file is in the images folder.

I'm using Houdini Apprentice 9.0.767 on Windows XP. Is the extension .rat for a RenderMan Artist Tools file? If it is, then I understand that RenderMan can't be used with Houdini Apprentice.

Thanks, for providing the training videos and continuing the Apprentice program.

- Philip
1145 posts
You should be able to view the .rat file in the compositor. So go to cops and load it in with a file cop. That may clarify if it is a windows .dll thing or it's houdini.
282 posts
Thanks!
Houdini is great! O'right?
42 posts
I am finding the UV tutorials very helpful. UV pelt is actually one of the best UV methods I have ever used. Thanks for all the great help!
519 posts
Peter,

some nice new tutorials, thanks! With the light tutorial there is an addition hip file about instancing. Seems you don't mention it in your tutorials…one movie missing?
1145 posts
We're in film you know. It's the teaser trailer 8)

Pagefan
Peter,

some nice new tutorials, thanks! With the light tutorial there is an addition hip file about instancing. Seems you don't mention it in your tutorials…one movie missing?
53 posts
Thanks, for the workaround. I was running Apprentice 9.0.767 when I had a problem opening seashadow.rat.
After installing 9.0.777, the file opened just fine.

-Philip
519 posts
Hmmm in film we are? So there will be some Grande Premiere with the next few tutorials? We get invited by Sesi to fly business class to Toronto, stay in some luxury resort and watch the movies with Popsicles and soda?
1145 posts
Well, duh!
and you forgot the limo from the airport and the hot and cold running women.

Pagefan
Hmmm in film we are? So there will be some Grande Premiere with the next few tutorials? We get invited by Sesi to fly business class to Toronto, stay in some luxury resort and watch the movies with Popsicles and soda?
  • Quick Links