Houdini Apprentice Help pane

8469   10   1
6 posts
I'm running 6.0.286 of Houdini Appren, and the help panes aren't rendering the html. I have mozilla 1.3 installed which I was told was the version houdini uses (whether it's embedded or uses a seperate install I do not know). Any ideas? Reading help via html source gets old after a while :wink:
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. – Isaac Asimov
Staff
2540 posts
Is this linux or windows?

Houdini comes with it's own browser embedded and does not need an existing copy of mozilla installed.

The latest version of mozilla only allows one user so you may have to close mozilla in order to run the embedded browser in Houdini.

Give me what OS and I will try to help further.
There's at least one school like the old school!
6 posts
Linux. I always have some galeon windows open but they don't conflict with the regular mozilla so I doubt they'd conflict with any embedded version
Staff
2540 posts
I wonder if Houdini is picking up the mozilla libraries in /usr/lib, not
$HFS/mozilla. So it may be a problem with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. What is LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to?

Do you have LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH set inherited from Irix? A long-shot but you never know.

-jeff
6 posts
Actually I probably should have noticed this earlier
The Houdini 6.0.286 environment has been initialized.
gnuyen@joe:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH

gnuyen@joe:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/hfs6/dsolibhome/gnuyen/libhome/gnuyen/cvs/nebula/bin/linuxdusr/aw/maya4.5/lib:
gnuyen@joe:~$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/hfs6/mozilla:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
gnuyen@joe:~$ houdini &
gnuyen@joe:~$ Spawn Error: : No such file or directory
Error running ./hbrowser
Argument list:
0: ./hbrowser
Error: Could not communicate to browser when waiting for launch
Error: Could not communicate to open a window

Note the stuff on the end? I also added /usr/hfs6/mozilla to my path and that didn't make any difference, neither did adding a symlink to hbrowser in /usr/hfs6/bin

I should note that I'm using bash, and source the houdini_setup_bash script which apparently isn't used that much as it had a bug in it? I had to change line 104 from
if ; then
to
if ; then
or something like that (i forget exactly). This change shouldn't make much of a diff since that section of code doesn't do anything useful

Also I should note, that the behavior has since regressed to not showing the source at all, just showing a blank page. This was the behavior that was initially showing, but once it showed the text of the html source in the help pane
6 posts
Figured it out, apparently hbrowser is tcsh script. This means you have to have tcsh installed for it to run properly

So some undocumented dependencies for houdini are apparently acroread, csh AND tcsh. I grepped through all of the houdini files and found out hbrowser is the ONLY tcsh script in the whole thing. Everything else is csh, is there a good reason for this? The script seems to be csh compatible, changing the top to read #!/bin/csh works as well.

(Maybe the dependencies are documented some place and I just don't know where to look)
Staff
2540 posts
Doesn't tcsh ship with all linux distro's? I thought that this would have been a safe assumption to make for our R&D.
6 posts
Ships but not necessarily installs. I didn't have csh installed either since I'm a bash man. If the installation script could check if those were there (and where they are located) and maybe just complain that would probably have been enough. Or throw it in the install docs some place.
4140 posts
Rather after-the-fact now, but it's a good idea to install csh/tcsh in this biz - lot's of scripts out there(as you now know ) use it. They hardly take up any space and it's worth it. I don't use bash at all myself, but lots of scripts I've downloaded from the net do - the joys of #!/bin/yourshell !

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7709 posts
Thanks for the bug reports, gnuyen!

Both the -q and tcsh problem has now fixed for the next builds.
6 posts
No problem, thanks for fixing them
  • Quick Links