Rocking text question

6318   6   4
5 posts
Hi to everyone!

I recently saw this; http://www.qubekonstrukt.com/motion/motion19.mov [qubekonstrukt.com]
and have been wondering how to conceive it.

Could anyone hint me on this?
I've tried creating a curve and then attaching a PolyWire to it and converting the the whole thing to a wire object…but I don't think that was the right way as my computer froze.

And also, how would you attach the wire to the text?
I tried an RBD Pin Constraint on an extruded text and it's great! The text rocks back and forth but it's hanging from an
“invisible” wire if you know what I mean.

Thanks!
1390 posts
In case of a simple animation (as one above) I would consider avoiding simulation. Animate it by hand - faster and prettier. The one you're referring to, is hand-made for sure.

If you insist on doing it with simulation: check Houdini's help examples on wire solver + pin constrain (look for a chain examples).

cheers,
sy.

PS Please, don't post your questions on odforce and here at the same time. Most people visit both of them!
537 posts
Yeah looks like keyframing to me, especially since the line is taught. Now in Houdini you could do the sound also, or a crowd of machines!
5 posts
Andrew,

What do you mean by the sound in Houdini?
537 posts
The sound of that particular spot struck me as very effective and definitely added to the overall realism.

In Houdini CHOPs you could procedurally copy audio clips and generate the sounds automatically, here's an example, which could defiantly save time and add to accuracy if you had a lot of machines

http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/download/01_proceduralSoundDesign.mov [andrew-lowell-productions.com]
42 posts
I really enjoyed your example. I think I am going to try and get into this aspect of Houdini. Which types of nodes besides CHOPs do I need to get into for this kind of work?
537 posts
didn't mean to hijack the thread but yeah I think the sound played more of a part of the dynamics than dynamics did for that web clip.

I'm about a week away from completion of a Houdini ebook that explains sound and MIDI in Houdini (approx 220 pages)

let me know if you'd like to review it I could use some more feedback if things are easy or hard to understand etc

andrew@andrew-lowell-productions.com
  • Quick Links