Tearing Cloth

5649   6   2
41 posts
Does anyone know of any help or examples for tearing cloth in DOPs? I've tried approaching it several different ways, and know there must be better ways to handle it.

The ClothStitchConstraint help suggests that the tools are there to do it, but nothing more than that…and nothing on the forums about it. I must be missing something.

ClothStitchConstraint is great for setting up seams quickly, but I can't figure out how to make the seams break when a specific amount of force is applied.

Any tips would be very helpful.
~adam
55 posts
I see two paths, one is easy and leads to success, the other is dark and shrouded in mystery and dark magic. The first path is to create the seams by hand the other is to create the seams dynamicaly.
How to actually do that, I can't say, but hopefully that was helpful, if not funny.
“If you can eat it raw you can't under cook it”
41 posts
Heheh…yeah, those path's were what I discovered. I tried doing it manually, but ran into the problem of only being able to use a limited number of constraints

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=10348&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= [sidefx.com]
~adam
41 posts
I've been playing around with setting up tearing cloth by manually creating each constraint, but I still haven't found a way to do it dynamically. Anyone out there have any hints on where to start?
~adam
55 posts
Oooh, ooh, ooh, maye a foreach SOP?
“If you can eat it raw you can't under cook it”
41 posts
I don't see how a forEach SOP could be used to effect parameters in a DOP constraint, so one constraint could dynamically act as many constraints.

Is there a way to either use a forEach SOP or something like it in a DOP chain??
~adam
8582 posts
adam_glazier

ClothStitchConstraint is great for setting up seams quickly, but I can't figure out how to make the seams break when a specific amount of force is applied.

ClothStitchConstraint should work
try setting relationship type to Two State constraint
then set Two State Initial State to Hard Constraint
and Two State Max Force to some value you want to tear the cloth
and Spring strength to 0
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links