chain simulation interpenetrating

5506   5   2
280 posts
i did a test on houdini's rbd its a simulated chain. i have a few question can anyone help?
1. how to solve the inter-penetrating problem
2. is it possible to make the calculation faster
if anyone can look up this file and maybe modify it and upload it again so that i can c how to resolve this problem

btw why it interpenetrate in the first place i thought houdini is suppose to be very good at dynamic simulation? because in maya this things solved even faster than realtime and give me the correct result in my machine whereas in houdini its quite slow and it inter-penetrate

so please help me if u can… let me c the magic of houdini…

Attachments:
chain.hip (83.0 KB)

1769 posts
hi!
On the RBD fractured object, on collision tab, just increase the division of Your collision geometry, turn on Show Collision guide to visualize collision geo.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
280 posts
thx let me try it
280 posts
no its not…
its not fixed still sinking…..
any idea?
can u try to send the fixed hip file so that i can c your setting?

thx patar
1769 posts
I only adjusted the divisions, so maybe did not noticed some penetration, but seemed ok for me, also u can try to switch off the volume based collision and turn on edge based on the second tab there, it will be slower but maybe more precise
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
1390 posts
hey patar!
Here you have a tweaked scene!

I did three things:

- I increased slightly Ray Intersect Division (from 10 to 15)
- I increased Maximum Substeps to 5 for better accuracy. (Even 3 works fine)
- I added RBD Autofreeze as for a most of the time your objects just lie down and get bored of doing nothing which is bad for a simulation. Is such a case you can turn them off based on activity threshold.

Sometimes you can also use Resolve Penetration parameter mostly if your objects inter penetrate in a first frame.

Attachments:
chain_skk.hipnc (82.8 KB)

• Quick Links