Virtual time slider like in Maya (K hotkey in Maya) for H?

11866   7   2
581 posts
Hi houdniks.
I found very useful the hotkey k in Maya that is like a virtual time slider that allows you to change between keyframes while pressing it an dragging the mouse left/right, like if you were in the time slider.
Is there something similar in Houdini.
If not I thhink this would be a very interesting RFE.
Thanks.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
1769 posts
hi!
Yes it is usefull, also I want to ask here is there any key combination which prevents “time” to be refreshed.

In maya i can drag the time slider with middle mouse button to a new frame without evaluating the scene. This is very usefull when setting identical keyframes, or just keying ahead.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
581 posts
buki
hi!
Yes it is usefull, also I want to ask here is there any key combination which prevents “time” to be refreshed.

In maya i can drag the time slider with middle mouse button to a new frame without evaluating the scene. This is very usefull when setting identical keyframes, or just keying ahead.
You can change the different cook, calculate, modes in an drop menu at the lower right of the main window.
Options:
- Auto Update: calculates/updates always
- On Mouse Up: only when action have been performed, you release the mouse, finish to type a value, etc. ..
- Manual: you have to manually click at the update button at the left of this menu. You can assign a hotkey for this button.

Maybe On Mouse Up is waht you are looking for.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
1192 posts
In the Channel (Graph) Editor, if you hold MMB on the vertical line which represents the current frame and move the mouse, it will hold the values of the scoped channels. You have to alt-click to set a key, though.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
12475 posts
You can also just MMB drag on the timeline itself and it'll hold the current values too.

But, a hotkey to be able to drag anywhere (or just the viewport) in Houdini is a very good idea! If we could hold down a key, like Ctrl+MMB and drag, a ladder handle could pop up and we affect the current frame. I could imagine this being a viewport hotkey since if you're animating you might not want to move your pointer far to change to the next frame.

In fact, the flipbook software at R+H and DD both do this (and I'm certain at many other places too) - just allow the user to click on the image and drag left and right, affecting the current frame. It's super useful in a flipbook so why not add it to Houdini itself. And MPlay.

Good one!
Jason
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
581 posts
RFE posted:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=51029#51029 [sidefx.com]

Houdini is improving hos character toolset a lot but there are some features designed for animators that you can find in Maya or XSI that Houdini lacks.
Good ghosting.
Good arcs preview
Be able to draw directly in teh viewport some sketches
Etc ….
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
234 posts
maya's ghosting sucks

I'd like to see some of those in houdini:
www.digitalfish.com
581 posts
djorzgul
maya's ghosting sucks

I'd like to see some of those in houdini:
www.digitalfish.com
Maya tools are great but in my opinion XSI is by far better, but this is not a flameware about animation tools
One thing clear is that Houdini is great for Characters TDs and unique in terms of pipeline, some “artistis” tools for animators will be great to have a robust tools in you character pipeline.
And talking about digitalfish, it sound sgood and look cool, quiite similar to H9, I haven't used it so Ican't talk much about it, but one thing I don't like is all the things about rigging offering only text files for you to create your own pipeline, create your rigs in Maya or use C++, is like 2 years technology for me. In the other side it seems to have very interesting tools for the animator.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links