Houdini OpenGL environment variables

10213   3   0
301 posts
Hi,

I am currently using Houdinig 9.0.794 on a laptop (Windows Vista) with non OpenGL accelerated graphics card.

My main activity is plugins development so I don't use it for modelling, animation etc.

Currently, it runs dog slow on that laptop (Dual core).

I was wondering if there is some HOUDINI_OGL_* environment variables I could set to help in such situation.

My usage is to start Houdini, test out the loading and running of the plugin and shutdown Houdini and possibly attaching to Houdini to debug memory leaks and such.

I tried searching for information on HOUDINI_OGL_* related information on the help menu but the information is very limited.

Is there a place where all Houdini's environment variables are documented that are in sync with the software released from SideFX?

Regards
Nicholas Yue
7760 posts
From the Command Line Tools, run “hconfig -a”. That gives you a list of accepted environment variables. To get help on a particular one, use -h like so “hconfig -h HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE”. Use “hconfig -” to see all the available command line switches.

Anyhow, the first thing I'd try is to set the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 1 from My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables. This forces usage of Microsoft's OpenGL 1.2 driver which seems to better than some other vendor-specific software OpenGL drivers in practice.
1 posts
ed,
I tried your second suggestion, with no avail. It seems to crash houdini everytime it opens.

I too am getting alot of viewing errors, like the scene view shrinking, and whenever I open up another pane the error console gets flooded with “invalid OpenGL driver”

I am running Vista home Premium x64
ATI 2600XT in Crossfire
all updated drivers.
7760 posts
Have you tried the latest 9.1 daily build?
  • Quick Links