L-system - question on help file

3891   4   2
243 posts
Hello,
I've been reading the help file for the L-System. In the part where they introduce the 3D branching system, they use this as an exemple:

Premise: FFFA
Rule1:A= " //// ////

Works fine, looks nice!

Now, they say that a better equivalent would be this(which is really similar to the l-system default setup actually, except from a “!”):

Premise: FFFA
Rule1: A= " //// ////
Rule2: B= &FFFA

It makes perfect sense to me…BUT it doesn't behave the same way.

#1 as new branches generated on EVERY SINGLE GENERATION (1,2,3,4…)
#2 as new branches generated only on EVERY TWO GENERATION (2,4,6,8…)

Is this actually a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Please help me, I'd really like to understand!

Thanks!
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
55 posts
Nah, it's cool. That's what it's supposed to do.

You're introducing an intermediate value holder by adding the B rule. It's easier to read and easier to edit, but it takes an extra generation as the B is turned into the A is turned into the F

Where the #1 basically went A-F-A-F , #2 goes B-A-F-B-A-F and takes longer to get the resulting F which is where the line is acutally drawn.

If you're ever confused about an Lsystem you can always work it out on paper (way easier than working geometric transformations out). It only takes a few minutes and it's really enlightening. Try it, it'll help the thing make more sense
“If you can eat it raw you can't under cook it”
696 posts
I believe the documentation on this was changed about a month and a half ago. Are you using the latest build?
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
243 posts
9.0.787 is the version I use. Don't remeber for how long I got it, I'll check for latest updates.

Thanks for the awnser kleer001!
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
696 posts
ah, maybe it was a fix for the 9.1 beta
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
  • Quick Links