houdini 9 environment variables?

4283   8   2
338 posts
Hey guys,

Is there anywhere with a list of houdini 9 environment variables? I cant find any in the houdini docs.
They were all listed in houdini 8 from what I rememeber.

Thanks
Nick
1532 posts
I believe the ‘hconfig -a’ command lists them all.

Make sure you source your houdini_setup if you are on linux.

Best,

Gene
338 posts
Thanks Keyframe, I cant least try to figure out whats missing if anything from the h8 to H9 setup we have.

Now if there was an explanation for these as well trhat would be great since theres alot of not so obvious variables.

I think it might be an idea to get the help docs back for these. It seems alittle strange not have proper docs for something that can be this important.
Cheers
Nick
1532 posts
Heya Nick,

As per the inline help to the hconfig command, there is a brief outline of what the variable does. ‘hconfig -H’.

Gene
338 posts
Hey keyframe, i just figured out I could get help on the variable by adding the -h flag and teh varaible name. Still seems like a pain to go through descriptions like this

edit

I can get what i need from this now.
Thanks
Nick
338 posts
Just so you peeps know, on Windows when i list the environment vairables with help descriptions. The list is too long for windows command line to display it cuts out at the top of the commandline window here.

RIB stream. This should be one of “linear” or “cubic”. This is obsolete
and may be removed from future versions. It has been replaced by the
“ri_curveinterpolation” detail string attribute.

I know windows is stupid but it kinda makes even more sense to also document this in the help.
Thanks
Nick
Staff
2540 posts
To make the default Command Line Tools shell larger, open it up then RMB on the window title bar.
From there choose “Properties”.
Go to the Layout folder and increase the Screen Buffer Size Height to a very large number. You can also increase the Window Size Height to say 60 or 80.

When you press OK, choose the “Modify shortcut that started this window”.
There's at least one school like the old school!
338 posts
Thanks for the tip jeff very useful indeed. Didnt realise that you can do that :¬)
Staff
2540 posts
No problem.

Some other things I do with these shells:

I will create three or four shortcuts and configure each one differently for different tasks using the Shell Properties.

Shell Properties:

In the Options folder, I always turn on “Quick Edit Mode”. This allows you to make selections inside the shell and using the RMB tap to copy this string to the windows copy buffer. You can then paste the string in any other text app using ctrl-v.
As well, you can paste any copied string using the same RMB tap in the shell.
Note as you first select some text with the LMB drag then RMB tap to copy the string, your selection goes away. That allows you to RMB tap to paste that same string in this shell or any other shell or text editor.

Font folder: I usually stay with the default but if I want to have different fonts for the various shortcuts, I use Lucida console set to whatever size works for me.

Colors: Change them to suit. Each shortcut can have a different color palette. That strip of colors is actually used by the shell to do syntax color highlighting. I usually first pick “Popup Text” then start selecting any one of the strip of color blocks and modify to see what I am changing with syntax highlighting.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links