App. Ed. 6.0 licensing under Linux

5249   5   1
4 posts
Hi everyone,

I am trying to install the Apprentice Edition v6.0 on my linux system, running Slackware 9.0.

Installing the files went smoothly. However, when I got to the licensing part and went to source houding_setup_bash, well, it did not work.
Here is the message I got:
line 104:

Has anyone had that problem when installing 6.0? Any fixes? I'm gonna keep looking around but I would appreciate any feedback on this one…

Thanks. nico
5 posts
Just use the C shell script. You should be able to just type csh, then source houdini_setup. I haven't been able to get the bash version working on Redhat, and since the other method works just fine I don't see the point in fiddling with it.
4 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did try to switch to the C-shell, and ran the script but it gave me another error. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but I will look into those two scripts, and if nothing changes, I might try to put RedHat instead of Slackware.

n.
1631 posts
Hi,

I believe there are users who have managed to get Houdini working on Slackware. Have you searched the forum?

Also, you might also want to search through force's [odforce.net] forum.

Cheers!
steven
4262 posts
I've been using Slackware 9 with Houdini 6 for a while now and I've been very happy. The only issue is Slackware 9 uses gcc 3.2.2 and Houdini 6.0.286 prefers Redhat 7's gcc 2.96. But if your not compiling plugins it won't matter.

To get Houdini 6.0.286 working on slackware you need to do two things.
First edit your houdini_setup_bash script.
Change the following line from

if ; then

to

if ; then

The second thing you need to do is adjust the license server stuff. For all the glory details try this post as od
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=452&s=7e23de1c5f13052106c81ca440a35662 [odforce.net]
To see why this works look at “/etc/rc.d/rc.sysvint”

This is the easiest way since the Houdini License Install will now work correctly. Another approach would be to edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.M so you don't have to create the RedHat style directories.

I got it working using both ways.

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4 posts
Thanks for the info. I will look into it tonight when I get my internet connection back. I already had changed the bash scipt and that worked. I will checck that web site for the rest and see for anyone else using Slack.

I might contact you in the future for any info i might need. ^_^

Nico
  • Quick Links