Length working in the fur sop?

4362   5   1
249 posts
hey guys,

I dont know if its with my setup, but the Fur SOP length attribute doesnt work. I kinda need it for previewing.

Im using 1.183.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
2624 posts
Length is controlled with the length attribute in the mantra fur procedural ,which is channel referenced buy the line SOP which acts as the guide.

R
Gone fishing
Staff
329 posts
phrenzy84
I dont know if its with my setup, but the Fur SOP length attribute doesnt work. I kinda need it for previewing.

The length parameter is not used if guide geometry is specified. In this case, you can simply increase the length of the guides or use the “Length Scale” parameter on the Fur Style SHOP.
249 posts
So if i didnt want to use the fur style shop, the length on the fur procedural is useless for viewport but ok for render, but if i do use the fur style shop then the Fur procedural length is useless at render time and viewport?

doesnt that make the fur procedural “length ”redundant if you have to use Fur Style to preview the length and render?

-andy
Staff
329 posts
phrenzy84
So if i didnt want to use the fur style shop, the length on the fur procedural is useless for viewport but ok for render, but if i do use the fur style shop then the Fur procedural length is useless at render time and viewport?

doesnt that make the fur procedural “length ”redundant if you have to use Fur Style to preview the length and render?

-andy

The Mantra Fur Procedural does not affect anything in the viewport – it is only used at render time. The Fur SOP is used to see fur in the viewport. If you want the preview to match the render, the Fur SOP should use the same parameter values as the Mantra Fur Procedural. If you set the length on the Mantra Fur Procedural to something like “0.3”, you should also update Fur SOP to use the same value. This can be easily accomplished by copying the parameter from one node and pasting a relative reference into the parameter on the other node. Any changes to the one node will automatically be applied to the other.

Fur Style SHOP's “Length Scale” parameter does not replace the length value, it's a multiplier. If you use a Fur Style SHOP and set the “Length Scale” to “1.5”, all hairs will be scaled to be 50% longer. If you apply the Fur Style SHOP to the Mantra Fur Procedural in your scene, you should also apply it to the Fur SOP so the preview and rendered image will match.
249 posts
derrick
The Mantra Fur Procedural does not affect anything in the viewport – it is only used at render time. The Fur SOP is used to see fur in the viewport. If you want the preview to match the render, the Fur SOP should use the same parameter values as the Mantra Fur Procedural. If you set the length on the Mantra Fur Procedural to something like “0.3”, you should also update Fur SOP to use the same value. This can be easily accomplished by copying the parameter from one node and pasting a relative reference into the parameter on the other node. Any changes to the one node will automatically be applied to the other.

That was the setup i had before 1.183, i update the fur procedural and the viewport would update because the parameter was linked to it. …..

oooop

Just realized, to adjust length, not scale if you have the fur style shop plugged into the procedural and Fur SOP, is hookup the Fur Procedural Length to the height of the line sop that is part of the guide.

hope someone with the same question finds this answer.

-andy
  • Quick Links