104 posts
Houdini Introduction To Procedural Modeling

http://cmivfx.com/product_houdini_procedural_modeling.asp [cmivfx.com]
282 posts
good news! New cool tut from Cmi! 8) :!:
Houdini is great! O'right?
74 posts

Hi everybody!

We're very happy to release the sequel and first application of our Fundamentals video, entitled “Introduction to Procedural Modeling”

http://cmivfx.com/product_houdini_procedural_modeling.asp [cmivfx.com]

Aimed to work together with the Fundamentals video and to be a large and thorough deepening, this is also en entire project-based video, since Houdini is not just for theory but also for practice.
It has procedural challenges like rigging caterpillars so that they adapt to any terrain, but also all kinds of modeling approachs, cause real-world scenarios are not 100% procedural or 100% art, they're always a blend.

Plus The challenge at CmiVFX was to find which effect/scene could combine the maximum diversity of training content, while keeping the consistency and the realism/reality of a project-based approach.

We ended up with the idea of the tank cos it had everything:
1) In terms of procedural modeling and applying the concepts of the Fundamentals, it has everything as i mentioned and procedural modeling here even fuses with rigging!
Hearing the change and the ongoing demand, we wanted to show that Houdini is not just for big studios and/or for computer science PhDs and/or impossible-looking shots, but for EVERY artist who just want to do things FASTER, NICER on ANY project. People often used to say: “ i've been told it's possible with Houdini, that can be done, it's possible in theory”, if we can, let's not just say that we can, let's DO it.

2) Then, in terms of the base for possible future content: let's suppose we want to create a procedural camouflage pattern, rendered with global illumlintaion, motion blur, this allow us to show a lot of things about rendering, let's suppose we want some tanks to follow a parade, or to move in synchronicty with cannons animation, or interacting with their enemies, this allow us to teach CHOPs and/or particles and behavioural animation.

Let's suppose we want planes to drop bombs/missiles onto a tank that will explode, this allow us to show all the dynamics, the rigid-bodies, the partice-based or fluid-based explosion, the particles for volume rendering etc.

I'm not particularly into war stuff, quite the contrary but i got to say that creating a battlefield scene with tanks allow us to show an incredible number of things with the consistency of a project-based approach where you have to do EVERYTHING with Houdini. Don't do war, simulate it! lol

Enjoy!

David
50 posts
Great stuff. The player really gave me a headache, but I finally got to see the video, and I learned quite a few new tricks.
Thumbs up!
243 posts
Hey david!
How many other DVDs do you plan to release in a near future? I'm planning my budget!
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links