Exporting VEX Chop Operator data into CHOP

11463   6   1
436 posts
Hi all.

I thought I had this figured but apparently I have not. I wish to import VEX Chop Operator (the Output ‘V’) values into a CHOP.
First I created a VEX Motion & Audio Operator in VEX
In it I created Turbulent Noise tile with Noise output appended to Output Tile V paramenter.
Just a simple noise function thats all.
So now I want to bring the output of this VEX into CHOP

In CHOP, in a new CHOP
Created Fetch tile.
In Fetch tile I made following Options;
OP: vex
Path: Chop1
Path: output1
Channels: *
Fetch: OP Control Channels
Select: Non-Constant Channels

Needless to say I got Red Play button. So I switched second path to ‘turbnoise1’ and Red Play button disappeared but I still had no signal graph in CHOP Viewer window. Experimenting with further permutation of settings in Fetch tile yilded no results.
So what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for help in adanvce.

Dave Rindner
7715 posts
The Fetch CHOP is used to fetch parameter & channel values from specific ops.

A VOP is a way of defining an operator type. So after you create your CHOP VOP, you need to right-click on the outputs tile (or in the vopnet tile) and choose “Save as context operator type”. You give your new chop type a name. Once it's saved as a new chop type, you can then use the tab menu in the chop net editor to create your chop.
436 posts
Thanks. Great someone answered. However I am confused. I did the ‘Save As Context Operator’ in VOP ,as instructed. Then went to CHOP. Still have the same problem as before. What tile am I suppoused to use to bring in that newly created CHOP.
Thank you

Dave Rindner
7715 posts
You use whatever name you saved the chop context vop as.
436 posts
OK. Got it. Thanks. My custom CHOP appears in Filters. I expected it to appear in Generators. My thought was that I was creating a custom noise function, like Noise and Wave tiles in CHOP/Generators. How does one create Generators or Filters or any other types of CHOP tiles?
Once again , thanks. Learning this app is easier with user suppourt like yours.

Dave Rindner
Staff
4438 posts
If you look at the parameters for the “VEX Motion and Audio Operator” (aka a CHOP Vopnet), there are parameters for setting the Minimum and Maximum number of inputs. By default both of these values are 1, which means that when you create a CHOP based on this Vopnet it is required to have at least 1 and no more than 1 input. The simple definition of a Generator is an operator that doesn't require any inputs (i.e. it can generate something out of nothing). So if you set the Minimum Inputs parameter to 0, your new CHOP type will appear in the Generators folder. You can also set the Maximum Inputs parameter to 0 if an input connected to the CHOP will be ignored.

I would also like to point out that you don't really need to do the “Save as Context Operator Type” to use your new CHOP type. To see what I mean, create a new CHOP Vopnet. In its parameter dialog, change the “CHOP Type Name” parameter to “My New CHOP”. Then go into a CHOP network, and hit TAB to bring up the toolbar. Type “My”, and lo and behold you can create a CHOP of type “My New CHOP”. There is a live connection between the CHOP and the CHOP Vopnet, so any changes you make to the CHOP Vopnet (usch as adding your Noise VOP, and connecting it to the V Output) will immediately update what your CHOP is doing.

The disadvantage of doing things this way is that “My New CHOP”s can only be created in the hip file where My New CHOP is defined. The step of doing a “Save as context operator type” takes a snapshot of your new CHOP type and saves it to disk so you can use it in any hip file. But you give up the “live connection” that you have with the other approach. Which approach you use depends on the needs of your project.

I hope this helps.
7715 posts
Set both the min and max number of inputs to 0. At the vop context level, make sure your name the type of your vop to what you want.
  • Quick Links