syntax error when compiling with UT_DSOVersion.h

7690   6   0
26 posts
Hello!

I am trying to compile a DSO within VS, and when compiling I get a syntax error from the UT_DSOVersion.h file.

Houdini8.2\Houdini 8.2.238\toolkit\include\UT\UT_DSOVersion.h(26) : error C2144: syntax error : ‘void’ should be preceded by ‘;’

Houdini8.2\Houdini 8.2.238\toolkit\include\UT\UT_DSOVersion.h(26) : error C2501: ‘DLLEXPORT’ : missing storage-class or type specifiers

Houdini8.2\Houdini 8.2.238\toolkit\include\UT\UT_DSOVersion.h(27) : error C2144: syntax error : ‘void’ should be preceded by ‘;’

Houdini8.2\Houdini 8.2.238\toolkit\include\UT\UT_DSOVersion.h(27) : error C2086: ‘int DLLEXPORT’ : redefinition

Houdini8.2\Houdini 8.2.238\toolkit\include\UT\UT_DSOVersion.h(26) : see declaration of ‘DLLEXPORT’

If I check inside that specific header file, the errors points to:

extern “C” {
DLLEXPORT void HoudiniDSOVersion(char **version_string);
DLLEXPORT void HoudiniGetTagInfo(char **version_string);

I have added the libUT.a lib to the project, include paths and so, still this comes up. Do I need to declare something specific to get this to work?

I have been able to compile other projects using HDK (altough not SOP projects).

If I move all the includes from the header file to the cpp file, I get the same error messages, but in the VEX_VexOp.h file instead.

extern “C” {
DLLEXPORT extern void newVEXOp(void *);
}
You cant recycle wasted time
85 posts
Which version of Windows are you using?
Cause all my SOPs will compile fine with WinXP 32bits.
26 posts
Which version of Windows are you using?
Cause all my SOPs will compile fine with WinXP 32bits.

That is strange. I use WinXP 32-bits with Houdini 8.2 aswell.

Do you include any special libs, makefiles or anything in your VS?
Staff
4456 posts
Are you using hcustom to do your compiling? Or are you trying to do this within the visual studio environment with a build system set up from scratch? If the latter, make sure you are using the C++ compiler, not the C compiler.

Mark
26 posts
Are you using hcustom to do your compiling? Or are you trying to do this within the visual studio environment with a build system set up from scratch? If the latter, make sure you are using the C++ compiler, not the C compiler.

I am working from Visual Studio and trying to compile from there.
Hmmm. That could be a reason..

It works to compile from hcustom, but then my other libs doesnt compile.

I will check which compiler I use in VS.

Thanks!

I have checked my VS and it is set to “Compile as C++ Code (/TP)”, if that was what you meant.
Staff
4456 posts
Okay, as long as you can copmile with hcustom there is nothing _too_ serious going wrong It's now just a matter of making sure you've set up VS to have all the same settings that hcustom uses.

The most likely problem is that “DLLEXPORT” isn't defined. But there are a lot of symbols that hcustom defines on the command line to the compiler which you'll need to copy over to your VS setup to make sure everything compiles correctly. So I would suggest running:

hcustom -d $HT/samples/SOP/SOP_Star.C

This will have hcustom print out all the options it passes to the compiler. Make sure that in VS you set up all the defines set by hcustom (using the -D option). On my machine I see the following symbols:
-DVERSION=“9.5.50”
-DI386
-DWIN32
-DSWAP_BITFIELDS
-DDLLEXPORT=__declspec(dllexport)
-DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN
-DMAKING_DSO

Hope this helps,
Mark
26 posts
Ohyeah, adding “-DDLLEXPORT=__declspec(dllexport) ” to the commandline in VS sure did the trick! Thanks alot!

Its good to know this, incase any other issue comes along later.
thanks for the information, I really appreciate it!
  • Quick Links