Pop Question

2966   2   0
113 posts
Hi Everybody,

I'm looking for a way to generate particle(s) from stopped particles .

Let me explain :
Imagine you have a tube with particles sliding down and stopping on it, how can I generate new particles from already stopped ones ? Moreover is it possible to index them in order to “know” that a newly created particle is generated by a stopped one ?

I hope that make sense to you and that it's clear enough

Thanks in advance

Julien
1631 posts
Hey Julien,

First of all, you have to understand that a stopped particle is different from a particle that stops sliding. Each particle is in a different state from the other.

If the particles are “stopped”, you can use a Group POP to group them with the Predefined Rules button (Particle is stopped) and in the Split POP, specify the group as the source group to split from.

If the particles slide to a stop, again with a Group POP, you can group them based on velocity or speed, which is an attribute.

There are two attributes you can use to find out which particles are newly birthed from another:

Generation Attribute (gen) and/or Origin Attribute (origin)

I used the Origin Attribute in my example hip file which you can download here [pointy.tv]. I added comments to each POP so please read them to help you understand the setup better.

Of course, I hope my comments make sense.

Cheers!
steven
113 posts
Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for the example hip file, it makes perfect sense and the comments are very usefull

Cheers !

Julien
  • Quick Links