twist available for follow curve inversekin?

4767   3   1
55 posts
in the continuity of my precedent post, about the skeleton rig OTLs I am working on, I am trying to make a back control. of course, this is based on the inversekin CHOP with follow curve. And it seems you cannot have the equivalent of the roll or twist, which allows you to roll the chain on your curve. In maya, the roll allows to roll all the chain bones together, while the twist rolls more the end of the chain than the start. I thought this would be easy to do, but I cannot find an easy way…
I actually found a way with my OTL, but it involves scripting, and I am wondering if I have not missed something, because I really have the impression that I am going a too much complex way. This should be far more easy <_<
So, anyone can show me the right way?
639 posts
Hi,

FOr local bone rotation, you should use the Rest Angle, that'll give you the twisty stuff for your bone. But do be aware that as you rotate the parent(s), the child(ren) will inherit the rotation as well. It was the same kind of mess I have to deal with when I write a generic autorig script for Houdini.

Speaking of that… I haven't touched my half-done script for a month now… time flies when you don't have time…. :?
55 posts
good, thx a lot, that was exactly what I needed.
But I still have little doubts. When I modify Rz ( rest z angle, not rotationZ ) it seems I have what I want, but sometimes, de[ending on the orientation of the bone, Rx and Ry can also affect the twist of my bones…this is not clear yet, but I will have a look at it. Anyway, thx a lot!
639 posts
Hey,

In Houdini, the Rest Z is always pointing downward the bone, so for the most part, Rz is all that you need handle the twists. The Rx and Ry are generally used for the initial Rest positions of the bone. For the most part, I don't usually touch Rx and Ry unless I have to. As for the Rest Angle affecting the rotation of your bones, I believe that'll depend on how you position your bones, but for the most part, it's normal that it does that. You may just have to figure out a way to compensate the rotation in your child chain and such.

I think that Houdini's Bone has a rotation order of ZXY or something if I remembered correctly.
  • Quick Links