Particles from texture

8741   8   2
8 posts
Hi guys!

This is mi first post here, and im new with Houdini; because I have a easy question:

How to emit particles from a image texture / map channel ??

Its easy, no?
but, I don´t know how.

thanks!
56 posts
See if this helps? I'm using the point expression to get the color from a COPs image map. I'd like to know if there's a way to use a low res poly to emit a high res image too!

Alvin

Attachments:
pictureEmission.hip (49.5 KB)

8 posts
thanks for reply AlvinYap,
but, there is not my question.

What I need Know is how emit particles from a specific chanel of a texture.
i.e.: if american flag is my texture, them the particles born only from a red bars and not in the other areas.
Right?

If somebody help my , realy thanks.
1631 posts
Hi,

I used Alvin's hip file for my example. The only difference is using the Birth Probability parameters in the Source POP. I used $CR as the criteria.

Cheers!
steven

Attachments:
pictureemission_birth_probability.zip (17.2 KB)

8 posts
yea! something else.

thank you very much.
8 posts
sorry, but, one more question:

This emitter system emits from the vertex, to do so i need to use a high res polygon mesh and with this the scene becomes increidibly heavy and difficult to work with.

Is it posible to use a channel of the texture, independently from the vertexs of the polygon mesh?

Please please pretty please help me out that i´m on fire.

Thanks in advance
696 posts
you should be able to scatter (use the scatter sop) on the geometry and inherit the uv's. Should be more efficient than subdividing the geo
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
8 posts
thanks Allegro, but the trouble with the scatter SOP is that not copy the vertex color , and because that, I don´t make a group with the new points.

or , I don´t stand ´u how use the scatter SOP.
1390 posts
martindisenio
thanks Allegro, but the trouble with the scatter SOP is that not copy the vertex color , and because that, I don´t make a group with the new points.
or , I don´t stand ´u how use the scatter SOP.

I doesn't but you can color it after . Another scenario is to transfer this attribute with AttributeTransfer SOP, or even using VOPs with Point cloud method.

Here we have the scene with scatterSOP put *before coloring. If it won't work for you, just let us know!

cheers,
Simon.

Attachments:
pictureemission_birth_probability_colorscattered.zip (17.3 KB)

• Quick Links