CentOS 5.1 (32/64 bit) advice

5623   3   0
301 posts
Hi,

I am looking at evaluating Houdini on a dual Xeon Quadcore Linux box running either CentOS 5.1 32bit and later CentOS 5.1 64bit. It has Nvidia QuadroFX.

I have used and installed Houdini on a number of OS like XP/Vista/Ubuntu but CentOS 5.1 seems to have a problem with the license server starting up.

Anyone running Houdini on CentOS who can shed some light?

Regards
Nicholas Yue
519 posts
Nicholas, can you give some more information of what goes wrong. It should work.
301 posts
Pagefan
Nicholas, can you give some more information of what goes wrong. It should work.

I believe the problem came about with the naming of the machine i.e. hostname

%hostname
houdini001.mydomain.int

This hostname seems to get the 9.1.244 install messed up (license server wise)

So what I did was to change the hostname to just

%hostname
houdini001

This can be done via the /etc/sysconfig* (sorry not at machine so don't know the actual file)

That alone does not undo the damage to the original 9.1.244 install

Seeing the availability of 9.5 beta, I installed that and (I think this is important) installed a new version of the license server. This time around, the installation get a hostname returning more compatible hostname format and is able to obtain the required license and I now have 9.5 beta up and running on CentOS 5.1 32bit.

9.1.244 is still broken as it was configure with a broken hostname

So my lesson learned is to ensure a properly named host before installing Houdini.

Now I have to repeat it for CentOS 64bit

Regards
Nicholas Yue
519 posts
Yes, a proper host file is important when installing licenses. It should look something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.1 mycomp.localdomain mycomp

Then, on newer linux distros there is also a section for ipv6, just ignore that one. Also check “man 5 hosts” for a thorough explanation.
  • Quick Links