Flipbook a to a fixed resolution

12765   12   4
789 posts
Hello all,

Is there an (easy) way to flipbook to a set resolution, using the correct image and pixel aspect ratio? Currently, when I set the resolution it scales the viewport non uniformly untill it matches the resolution. I would like the images scaled uniformly, untill the camera view fits and then cropping stuff falling outside.

Any tips,

Thanks,

koen
696 posts
yes. rightclick on the flipbook menu

Attachments:
flipbook.jpg (65.1 KB)

Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
789 posts
Thanks for the reply. I new about these options, but was hoping that I missed the magic button.

Setting the resolution here, just scales the output to that size. This distorts the image.

A solution would be to try to resize my viewport so it matches the film aspect and then usging this. This however is not always acurate enough.

Koen/
696 posts
if you have the same resolution as your camera, and select the “crop out view mask overlay” option like in the image, it will not distort your image.

You can also press ctrl + b in the viewport before doing a flipbook to maximize that pane so that it scales your flipbook down rather than up providing a nicer looking flipbook.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
789 posts
Thanks,

it turned out I had my camera resolution wrong. It was setup up for 1080p instead of 2.35

Thanks!

koen
13 posts
Most of the time, the flipbook images are drawn as gl wireframes. I don't think they look so great scaled. I would much prefer to be able to specify an exact pixel dimension before the flipbook images are generated. Is there a way for this to be specified with the flipbook interface? I suppose I can create a new viewport with the pixel dimension I want and flipbook using that.

The objectscene output driver used to render out open gl images (wireframe, shaded, hiddenline, etc) with the ability to set exact pixel dimension and renders offscreen. I take it now it will take multiple renderer with a pull down list, but the list is empty. Are there gl ones that I can register to the list?

Chyuan
240 posts
Resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm having a similar issue. I have two workstations hooked up to a single monitor via a simple HDMI switch. One system (OSX) is for everyday work, the other (Windows) for sims & rendering.

Often, I'll start a flipbook/sim on the Windows box, then switch over to work on OSX for a short while. During that switchover process, the resolution on my Windows box is reduced (as the workstation believes that there isn't any monitor attached) - this in turn reduces the resolution of the Houdini UI and the resolution of my flipbook.

The images are upscaled, so they're technically the same size as the first images, but they're very low res, making it near impossible to see the details I need to see in order to ensure that my sim is going according to plan.

Essentially, I'd like to be able to simulate a FLIP fluid and render out a fixed resolution openGL preview of the sim at the same time (it doesn't matter if it's rendering to the flipbook or to frames on the HDD).

How can I go about doing such a thing?

Thanks!
Luke
373 posts
The opengl rop should do what you are asking. You can also chain it up to a fetch rop (fetch the dop i/o in sops that is caching the bgeo of your sim) so that you can start caching a sim and do the gl preview frame by frame. Super handy for previewing a sim while it runs.
Ian Farnsworth
240 posts
Oh, that does seem to work quite well. Thank you!

One tiny thing: I'm noticing that the default background for the OpenGl render is black. Where can I find the setting to change that color to something like gray, which is my standard scene view background color (it makes the scene contents easier to see).
373 posts
Hmmm good question. You should put in an rfe for that. You could put a big gray sphere around your scene as a workaround…
Ian Farnsworth
240 posts
I'll have to try that out. Thanks!
99 posts
Hi

here's a self made flipbook rop its sort of outdated, but has few advantages versus opengl rop.

opengl rop doesnt default to black background, it renders everything in flip book “beauty” mode which sadly doesn't display transparent surfaces, but it saves alpha(and if i'm not mistaken floating point as well) so you can composite rendered result with any background you like

Attachments:
owl_flipbook_f0_v0_0_8.otl (66.9 KB)

240 posts
This looks interesting; I'll take a look. Thank you!
  • Quick Links