the memory could not br read???

7524   8   1
5 posts
Hi,

Just loaded the HD version and I got - the instruction at “0x00041eef” referenced memory at “0x00000298”. The memory could not be read. Then I get a license error. I'm sure this is a Windows XP issue as when I search the web there must be 50 or more links on the subject including Microsoft web pages. I'm trying to hunt down a link with reference to Houdini. But if there is anyone out there who has come across the issues I would appreciate any assistance. If I find the solution I will post.
1luckydog
Staff
1448 posts
could be related to the thread here:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=12525 [sidefx.com]
5 posts
I fixed it.

To make the story of 3 hours of frustration going through threads, links, Microsoft web site and web searches short, I finally switched to IE. I was initially using Firefox to download the application.

Got the License window to finally open. Got my licesne ID's and the application started up.

Looks like for what ever reason the browser was the issues.

Firefox is still my main browser but for downloading software I'll use IE.

All is well.

DD
1luckydog
4140 posts
The problem is either a corrupt install of FF(unlikely) or you've got something else going on. Behaviour like you're describing typically is related to something filtering your downloads, like an antivirus or firewall. It probably worked with IE because whatever is causing the interference(friendly or not) is treating IE differently. Lots of people are using FF to download Houdini.

Just pointing it out, so there's no mis-information. I perfectly understand if you're just fed up with it and can't be bothered, though.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
5 posts
Thanks for the feed back.

I did upgrade to FF 3.0 and I turned off ZoneAlarm. I didn't turn off the anti virus software (AVG ).

I did confirm the Services were active and the system32 files were loaded. I could not execute the system32 files manually nor would the License Admin come up from the start menu.

Some of the links I visited suggested reloading the java folder, running AdAware or Spybot for issues which I did.

I guess my PC has a personality that favors IE for downloads.

DD
1luckydog
7710 posts
Just curious, did you try Firefox 2 as well?
5 posts
I had Firefox 2 already running. I upgraded to FF3 to see if it would have an effect and to be part of their new release push.

Also I recently upgraded from a Pentuim 4 to a Core Quad 6600 @ 2.4 ghz with 2 Gig DDR2 ram. My graphics card is the GeForce 9600GT.

I upgraded to SP3 for XP. My Cinebench Render score is 2462. Not up to the bug boys but much better then P4. My OpenGL Standard test is 5283.

I may run a memory test just for the heck of it. Other then that I don't have any other details. I'd like to use FF3 for downloads but I don't know what to tweak.
1luckydog
Staff
1448 posts
In H9.5.142 we fixed a bug on Windows which would crash hserver with invalid memory access. It had to do with a DNS lookup, and it worked on some Windows while not on others. Perhaps this bug showed up earlier but not later, so this issue may not be related to FireFox download after all (especially if the MD5 sum is valid).

Try downloading H9.5.142 with FF3 and see if the crash still happens.
5 posts
I did download the apprentice application on my 3 yr old Fujitsu laptop using FF3 with no problems. I did turn off ZoneAlarm. I'll try again with ZA turned on.
1luckydog
  • Quick Links