what mechine are you using and able to run houdini s

8368   12   7
104 posts
what type of mechine you are using and able to run houdini smooth?

hi
i am new to animation, i never try a workstation before, i even doesn' have a good graphic card.

when i learning the tutorial of houdini i can experimen alot of thing and it make funs ; but i can't run the dynamic and fuild smooth.

after i discuss with some friend they say they are doing the same thing , even they have bought a very highend graphic card. and we come out a question , is it houdini only can run very smooth in workstation?

that's why i am here to asking about this , if all of you can tell me what the mechine you are using in producing and how it work i will be very appreciate.

thanks a lot
by a
newbie in animation

cheers
1631 posts
Hi,

Welcome to the Houdini forums!

You can check out the System Requirements page [sidefx.com].

However, please post more information about your system specifications here as not everyone has a workstation at home. I use a P4 3Ghz CPU with 2Gb RAM & a Nvidia Quadro FX1000 at home. It's hardly a workstation.

For dynamics & fluids simulations, they are rarely real time and require more RAM if you have a heavy scene. One tip is to go to the Global Animation Options found in the lower right of the window, turn on “Play every frame, but never faster than FPS” and Save As Default. This way, Houdini won't skip frames which you may perceive as “not smooth”.

It's good to see Houdini getting more interest in SEA.

Cheers!
steven
104 posts
alright ~~ thanks for reply and the information.

do anyone wanna to continue ?
10 posts
ya pD 3.2 GHz 1 GB ram gforce7300GT 256 500GB HDD Dual 21" Dell
jabranbaig
senior cg Artist
18 posts
At work, running on Fedora Linux on a Quadcore q6600 with 4G Ram and 7300GS Nvidia.

My personal machine is a MacBookPro 17" with 4G Ram

cheers

christian
104 posts
chrisedu , nice mechine
217 posts
I using for my workstation at home

Q9550 (2.8Ghz) - OC on 3.5Ghz
8GB of memory
Nvidia 8800GT
Samsung 24"
WEB
http://www.igorfx.com/ [igorfx.com]

Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/igorzanic [vimeo.com]
696 posts
At Home:

Windows XP x64
6gb ram
Intel Xeon E5320 1.86Ghz
QuadroFX 4400
Dual monitors
1.25 TB disk space
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
56 posts
Work: 8 core, 24gb dell of which i have no idea. Linux, of course.
Home: Core2 Duo 1.83Ghz, nVidia go 8000 series, 2gb ram. Ubuntu.

NB: Please oh please get a desktop if you do not need the portability - and get a proper lcd to go along with it. I've been fighting issues with color on my laptop and only just realized my screen is one of the crap tn 6bpp panels
57 posts
Dual Opteron 2210, ATI FireGL V3600, 4GB RAM, XP64

Works well and has been stable.
24 posts
I'm so happy that everyone has posted machines that they are using and thank you so much for the replies, however I am very eager to know what MAC configurations, whether machine or machines, did SESI use for their ongoing extensive Intel Mac OSX releases, now at release 9.5.176. Please let us know SESI so we don't overspend during these hard economic times. I would much rather invest on the full purchase of Houdini Master than overspending on an overloaded MAC PRO. And, if I am able to run Houdini on a Mac Book Pro and run complex simulations smoothly on it, I will definitely settle for a Mac Book Pro. Any replies from Quality Assurance and people from the Houdini community who are using these specific configs would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Staff
4177 posts
I'm using a Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz Xeon, Geforce 7300, 5GB Ram. So far, I've only used Houdini 9.5 under OS X, though I'm planning to install linux and have a go.
I'm o.d.d.
42 posts
this works fine for me:
  • Quick Links