textures seq. on sprites and primitive groups

5182   6   2
29 posts
Hi folks, thanks for the help so far.
I'm struggling with assigning a sequence of textures on the one hand to sprites and on the other to primitive groups.

- textures names are picture.001.jpg > picture.127.jpg
- assign one texture per sprite (the black-to-blue faces)
- assign one texture per primitive group (the grey faces)

I went through quite some tutorials, and I understand that overriding/overwriting is the approach (attribcreate at SOP level once UVtexture has been created at POP level), yet can't figure it out in a clean way for running both sprites and primitives at once. As well I'm using 9.5 and it doesn't seem to have the same obj level procedural render fields where the famous -A should come in play to force evaluating attributes such as ‘map’.

thanks so much!
gon
Edited by - July 15, 2008 02:51:25

Attachments:
sprites_prim_tex.hipnc (435.7 KB)
sprites.jpg (72.0 KB)

606 posts
Dunno about your problem, but I really like the image!

(I do understand that the client might disagree..

eetu.
321 posts
gonzifroni
Hi folks, thanks for the help so far.
I'm struggling with assigning a sequence of textures on the one hand to sprites and on the other to primitive groups.

- textures names are picture.001.jpg > picture.127.jpg
- assign one texture per sprite (the black-to-blue faces)
- assign one texture per primitive group (the grey faces)

I went through quite some tutorials, and I understand that overriding/overwriting is the approach (attribcreate at SOP level once UVtexture has been created at POP level), yet can't figure it out in a clean way for running both sprites and primitives at once. As well I'm using 9.5 and it doesn't seem to have the same obj level procedural render fields where the famous -A should come in play to force evaluating attributes such as ‘map’.

thanks so much!
gon

All the overriding should be done in SOP land. I assume that if the geometry for the sprites is mixed in with those of the groups, then you have a way to isolate them. Separate the two batches, and on the groups batch do a foreach or copy/stamp loop to delete everything but the group being stamped, and then set all the prims to the same map (I'm assuming the UVs will create the proper effect). In the other batch, assign one map per prim. Now both batches should have the map string attrib assigned (check with the geometry spreadsheet). Just merge and render. My advice would be to keep the two batches in separate OBJects, but that's just 'cause I like simple networks.
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
Ok I tried to follow a couple of super simple paths as suggested by Antoine Durr.
I made two files, one using copy stamping and UVquickshade and the other using ‘material’ with ‘overrides use local variables’ on and UVtexture to simply replace mandril.pic (specified in the shopnet) by default.pic.
Both examples show that no change is visible in the viewport.
Is this due to 9.5? it is not due to my systems since I tried this on different configs mac/pc and different graphic cards (though all ATI). Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks so much!
Gon

Attachments:
textures_test_2.hipnc (37.8 KB)
textures_test_1.hipnc (109.1 KB)

321 posts
gonzifroni
Ok I tried to follow a couple of super simple paths as suggested by Antoine Durr.
I made two files, one using copy stamping and UVquickshade and the other using ‘material’ with ‘overrides use local variables’ on and UVtexture to simply replace mandril.pic (specified in the shopnet) by default.pic.
Is this due to 9.5? it is not due to my systems since I tried this on different configs mac/pc and different graphic cards (though all ATI). Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks so much!
Gon
What about in Mantra? I've never had too much success with getting GL to show textures.
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
Thanks so much!
Gon

Attachments:
textures_test_1.hipnc (109.1 KB)
textures_test_2.hipnc (37.8 KB)

321 posts
gonzifroni
Thanks so much!
Gon
The UVQuickShade node doesn't support stamping, as it can only supply one shop path, and that will be the same for every stamp.

– Antoine
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com