Example Scene Renders Black - what am I doing wrong?

5519   6   3
17 posts
I'm a new user of Houdini 9.5 learning edition.

I have loaded up the Camp Fire example scene (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1292&Itemid=279 [sidefx.com]) into H9.5 but can't get it to render. I have tried …

1) Playing the animation to generate some particles - but the viewport shows no particles being created.

2) Rendering off the different Mantra output nodes in the “out” section.

But the screen is black every time. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Richard
22 posts
the particles need to be Geometry which can be rendered…
try to place a normal object, than create a Camera and a light…

than render the image… than you should see the geometry, if not… something is wrong with you graphic output…

regards
Allan
1192 posts
There's a node in the scene called “MMB_for_info”. You should middle click on it, so you can read the comments attached to the node. Follow the instructions there.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
17 posts
Thanks - I'll give it a go.

As well as a digital artist I'm a long-time computer user and software engineer by background … and it's taking me a long time to figure out how this software works!

Maybe those of you who have climbed up the learning curve can say whether it's a good workflow for an artist who works to tight schedules?
696 posts
On the contrary in my opinion. Of the packages I've used, it's true that Houdini gave me a bit of a hard time when I was starting out (this may be in part due to not having taken any classes involving Houdini), but I find that once you start to understand how things work it becomes *very* user friendly.

And I'm from an art background
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
1192 posts
craftycurate
Maybe those of you who have climbed up the learning curve can say whether it's a good workflow for an artist who works to tight schedules?
It's amazing, especially on tight schedules.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
17 posts
OK … maybe I'll give it another go. Still can't get any fire to render though after following all the above advice!
  • Quick Links