Spotlight : changing field of view but not cone angle ?

4517   3   1
113 posts
Hi,

While browsing the forum about depth map shadow, I found this old post : http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5629&highlight=depth+map+shadow [sidefx.com]

Jeff says :
“The values you can adjust are the center Window X/Y location, the Window Size and the Window Roll. It is obvious what they are doing when you are looking through the light.

Now these change the frustrum of the light which has nothing to do with the illumination cone direction of the light. No lighting values will change by adjusting the crop folder values. ”

How can I do that in H9.5 ? Where are these “crop folder values” ?
There's the “use cone angle for field of view”, but I can only adjust the zoom, not the frustrum direction. Else it seems I always change the cone direction.

Thanks a lot
Vincent
7722 posts
A whole lot of clean up was done in H9 in an effort to reduce the number of parameters on objects so that only the most commonly used ones are there by default. They're not gone though, you just need to explicitly add them to your object. On the Gear icon menu on the object parmeters, there's an Edit Rendering Parameters… item. Click on that. Now on the left tree control, select Mantra 9.5 (or your renderer of choice) > View > Left Crop, Right Crop, etc. Click on the arrow opinting right in between the two trees. Now click on the Accept button. The parameters should now appear on your object.
113 posts
Thanks!
Last week I learned about the autogenerate environment map feature and now this, would be even better if it was all in the help, though.

However as the last post in the above topic says (which didn't get answered):
“i tried to use the window crop x/y, but if i set this value, the shadow is always shifted from the object. why is it? ”

Anyway, I managed to get the nice shadows I wanted with the other parameters, so, no big deal.

Vincent
7722 posts
Well, you don't want to crop your *light*, especially if you're doing depth map shadows. Then the areas outside of your crop region will have a depth of 0, which probably means always in shadow.
  • Quick Links