perspective viewport..homing?

7545   5   1
212 posts
Hey gang,

Before 9… when working from a single view port….there was a way to have a perspective viewport then use the options for Front/Right/Left etc to home your view so you could place the perspective view to that location then you would be viewing from that position and could just start tumbling into perspective easily. I found it really handy to position my view for working with models.

Now it seems you can't to that. As soon as you go to a perspective window you either have it or you don't.

I guess the old behavior would be like having a camera locked to all the time, but as soon as you use one of the options for Front/Back etc.. if flips you out of the locked camera automatically.

Does anyone else misses the old way?

is there a way view from the perspective viewport but home front?
-k
1909 posts
Preferences > 3d Viewports:
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
212 posts
okay, thanks for that.

I found the Custom option, and now it seems you can mimic the old behavour but you have to do it in two steps.

so from a perspective camera (not a real cam#)

choose the Front view then home selected.
the default is to home ALL from the Front/Back/Left etc views.

Or am I missing something else

Thanks
-k
212 posts
okay I think I found it.. under the persp1 menu in the viewport it seems I can keep the perspective window and home in Front/Right/Left, and i remain in the perspective window.. still have to hit ‘g’ to frame selected.. but maybe I can rig a hotkey to do all both..

maybe, maybe not.. but at least I can get a hotkey for the homing I like.
then it is one key stroke away.
-k
Staff
1072 posts
I'm not sure from your last message if you found it or not, but in the persp1 menu you can specify a different home axis in the Home submenu. As far as I know, this maintains the old pre-9 behaviour. Oh, just in case others reading are a bit confused, note that ‘g’ homes the selection, while ‘F’ frames it.
212 posts
Thanks Ondrej for clarifying the home'ing and frame'ing.

I'm on the same page as you now, I think some custom hotkeys for speed and I'll be back in business.

thanks
-k
  • Quick Links