Hair flipping

5340   6   1
12 posts
Hey Everyone,

Has any one experienced a problem while using hair in a simulation where the hair starts to flip out and go crazy once it travels beyond a certain point? I think whats happening is the hair ends up rotating beyond its normal too much, so it doesn't know where it should go and thus we get the craziness. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have an answer? Or do I need to upload a scene?
12 posts
Is there really no one that knows what I'm talking about?
31 posts
I think i know very well what you mean.
I noticed that long time ago when messing with the pre-release H8.
I am pretty sure i reported it to one of the developers.
In fact the problem is not only with the wire solver, but in sop too - there are cases where the normals flip unpredictably.
Never checked again if it was fixed.
12 posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has experienced that, which means there has to be someone who has a work around for it or at-least knows how to solve the issue. I hope…..
156 posts
Basically you have to keep tweaking your wire object so it stops freaking out. Long hair is much more difficult to control so you'll spend a good deal of time just tweaking density, spring constrants and damping. Good luck.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
12 posts
moonlightkiss
Basically you have to keep tweaking your wire object so it stops freaking out. Long hair is much more difficult to control so you'll spend a good deal of time just tweaking density, spring constrants and damping. Good luck.

Have you come across a good balance of those settings?
Staff
329 posts
peship
In fact the problem is not only with the wire solver, but in sop too - there are cases where the normals flip unpredictably.

We are working on addressing the stability issue with the wire solver. Until then, reducing the time step of the simulation may work work around some problem cases. You may want to also change the “Maximum Substeps” on the wire solver to “1” to speed things up a bit. What do you mean by normals flip unpredictably in SOPs? Could you share an example?
  • Quick Links