`$DEAD == 1` broken?

3854   2   1
3 posts
I loaded the example from “start here” in Particle node examples called Split particle node. The rule for the group1 in the popnet is from predefined, $DEAD == 1
But that group is always empty, obviously I hit play. but it seems not to have any points in the group. I tried to figure out why it's not working but seem stuck.

Any help? I'm on linux using 9.5.255. Is it broken for anyone else? It's not a huge deal, just once I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working as expected I got curious.

Edit: I'm getting the same problem in the fireworks example 0 points in the group from the $DEAD == 1

Edit2: I tried in 9.1.179 and there it fails both the firework example in split and the split self example. It seems like it might be a bug? in 9.1 it errors out saying “Channel evaluation error. Syntax error” I open a scene fresh edit nothing.
– Dave
201 posts
H9.5.230
Vista64

I get the same result. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee but, what happens to a point when it dies … is it removed completely? It seems so when looking at info during the sim.

That said, how does the “dead” point ever reach the group POP to make use of the expression $DEAD == 1 if it's removed? This would explain the reason why the dead group is always 0 points.

Or maybe it's a bug :?
Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
Staff
1072 posts
I haven't looked at those specific examples, but dead particles are only around for a single frame before they're reaped. Perhaps you're simply missing them?

I believe the order during a frame is: reap, update state, cook. Particles generally die during the update state phase, and continue to haunt the simulation until the start of the next frame.
  • Quick Links