CHOP's "Recording"

5424   8   2
203 posts
I am experimenting with CHOP's, and I am controlling a sphere's translation using the amplitude of audio from my microphone. This works, but I can only control the sphere while I talk, and I want to be able to save the input from my microphone, so I can then play it back again. I tried using a MIDI Out node, but apparently I did that wrong, as no MIDI file was even written. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
7733 posts
Try using the Record CHOP.
203 posts
I also tried that to no avail. But I never read the help article on it. So I'll go do that.

UPDATE: Okay, I figured out how all that worked. Thanks. Still, is there any way I could output it to a file for use after I've closed Houdini?
My System [evga.com]
186 posts
You can right mouse click on the record CHOP and select “save data channels” as .BCLIP, .BCHAN, .AIFF, or .WAV (or several more).

cheers,
Abdelkareem
203 posts
Cool, thanks!
My System [evga.com]
7733 posts
Note also that after recording, you can just hit the lock (red) flag on the Record CHOP so that it no longer recooks. Now the audio should be saved along with the .hip file.
203 posts
Okay, that's simpler and easier than what I've been doing.
My System [evga.com]
537 posts
While it might work ok I'd keep in mind that Houdini is NOT an audio recording application. Houdini is great when reading and writing files on disk, but it's not designed for that sort of thing

(that being said I'd have no objections to Houdini implementing JAX and ASIO) !

currently, I'd highly recommend using a dedicated audio program (cubase, nuendo, cakewalk, vegas, audition, ardour, many other linux, etc etc) with good memory management and buffering abilities .. to record your audio.

Then reading in an “edited” or trimmed down section from disk using the file CHOP after the fact.
203 posts
I'm recording mouse movements, not audio. I record audio with Audacity.
My System [evga.com]
  • Quick Links