copy, via group selected by source geometry.

5432   7   1
10 posts
I'm trying some simple tests to get my head wrapped around how Houdini works - was trying to distribute some geometry onto a sphere, using the copy op driven by a box that acts as a bounding object. It appears to work to some degree, while at the group1 node, I can see that the box is selecting the appropriate verts. I go to the copy op and tell it to use groupp1 - it seems as if its selecting the verts on the opposite side of the sphere. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments:
houdiniVolumeSelect.jpg (121.2 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
Works perfectly for me…

Make sure you check off the Enable toggle in the Group SOP's Number folder.
Are you actually using the geometry fed in to the second input? Make sure that you have the group option set to Bounding Object (points only) and not to the internal box you can set in the Group.
There's at least one school like the old school!
10 posts
jeff
Works perfectly for me…

Make sure you check off the Enable toggle in the Group SOP's Number folder.
Are you actually using the geometry fed in to the second input? Make sure that you have the group option set to Bounding Object (points only) and not to the internal box you can set in the Group.

Yep, that's how I had it set up, I must have missed something else? Here's the scene file if you're interested ;/

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what could make this happen. Chances are though, I did something wrong, somewhere. I think I'm going to try rebuilding the scene as what you've described appears to be exactly what I did ;/

Attachments:
distributeCOPYconesonSphere.hipnc (45.1 KB)

10 posts
Just a followup - I retraced my steps from scratch and the same thing is happening. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but everything seems as it should be.
Staff
2540 posts
Your tube and edit have a transform such that it places the tube exactly in the opposite mirror direction on the copied points on the sphere.

Please see the file I attached with a new Tube SOP properly set up.

I like to RMB-copy channels on the height parameter then RMB-paste copied relative reference in to the parameter the same as the Orientation axis which I set up to be Z. Everything aims down Z in Houdini by default.

Attachments:
distributecopyconesonsphere_965_jw.hipnc (48.2 KB)

10 posts
ahhh - thank you very much, that makes perfect sense. I appreciate that little expression you put in there too, that sets the pivot to the base automatically.
Staff
2540 posts
You can save that as a preset for that operator. Just look at the menu gear in the parameter for that tube and choose the option to save a preset. Call it something like copy tube options
10 posts
jeff
You can save that as a preset for that operator. Just look at the menu gear in the parameter for that tube and choose the option to save a preset. Call it something like copy tube options

thats very cool, thank you again!
  • Quick Links